Worried about your little one sweating while you breastfed him/her? Are you anxious to know what might be the possible reasons behind it? Do you what to know is it an issue of concern?
Mothers, sit and relax now because I have answers to all your questions!
Table of Contents
Why Babies Sweat While Breastfeeding?
Remember, babies sweating while breastfeeding is normal. As you and your baby are in the tight embrace while breastfeeding, it is quite natural that due to skin contact, their bodies heat up. As a result, to cool down the body temperature, his body sweats.
Another reason for babies sweating during feeding is that babies make a lot of effort while suckling. This results in babies sweating during feeding.
But, remember that this sweating can also be a matter of concern if it is beyond a certain limit. Sometimes, warm surroundings can also lead to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
Is Sweating During Breast Feeding A Serious Issue?
Well, as I said, sweating is a natural phenomenon while breastfeeding but you should know when it can become a serious health issue. To be on a safer side, next time you visit your doctor, let your doctor know about it.
On the other hand, excessive sweating can be an issue you need to worry about! It is a symptom of a congenital heart disease, “Pulmonary Atresia”. In this disease, the pulmonary valve does not form properly which results in a deficiency of oxygen in the body.
Another reason why your baby might sweat excessively while breastfeeding is improper functioning of thyroid gland. These babies suffer from a disease known as hyperthyroidism.
Excessive sweating during feeding is also a symptom of an underlying condition.
It may also be a sign that your baby has the fever, which indicates there may be viral or bacterial infection.
When To Consult A Doctor?
- Your baby might breathe very fast or slowly. He/she may even gasp and face problems while breathing.
2. Sometimes, your baby might not want to feed at all.
3. There may be a bluish tint appearing on his/her skin.
4. Also, your baby might feel tired or may fall asleep always while feeding.
5. Keep a check on the weight of your infant. If your little bundle of joy is losing weight, then you need to consult a doctor.
If any of the above symptoms are observed, please consult your doctor.
Ways To Reduce Sweating In Baby While Breast Feeding
There might be a possibility that your infant is perfectly alright and the only reason he/she is sweating excessively is due to surroundings. So, before you panic and consult a doctor, make sure you get the following things right!
- Do not ASSUME anything. Do not overdress your infant assuming he might be feeling cold.
2. If you are feeding him/her during summer months, make sure your infant is wearing light cotton clothes.
3. Also, remember to feed him/her at cooler places like under a fan or in ventilated room. Try avoiding warm surroundings.
4. If you are feeding in public, then use a cotton cloak to cover his head. Avoid covering his head with a cloth while you nurse him at home.
5. NEVER make your infants wear polyester clothes. They only tend to cause irritation.
6. In months of summer, make sure even you are wearing light cotton clothes that do not heat up your infant’s body.
7. In winter months, use woollen garments that do not irritate his/her body.
You can also try herbal remedies to reduce the excessive sweating. These will give your body a cooling effect and prevents sweat glands from producing more sweat.
Enjoy being a mother! Do not burden yourself.Do not panic on anything! Consult a doctor and work accordingly!Happy Motherhood to you!