ADHD means Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. It seems complicated but it is quite simple to understand.ADHD is a psychiatric condition that has a series of patterns of hyperactivity/impulsiveness and inattention.
Hyperactivity is seen when someone constantly moves at inappropriate times.For example, they fidget or talk excessively; they are too restless, or they are too active compared to others of their age.
Impulsiveness means a person does something without thinking.
They make hasty decisions without thinking about its consequences in the long run. Inattention means that the person is unable to stay focused and has trouble concentrating on one particular task. His mind wanders easily, and he is distracted from the most minute things around him.
It is also found that boys have about three times more chances having ADHD than girls. The reason behind this has so far not been discovered.
It is usually found in children, and it remains with them even into their adulthood.
Essential Oils For ADHD
Essential oils are natural oils that are extracted from plants. They can be taken from any part of the plant like the stem, root, leaves, flowers or seeds.
Ideally, they are applied along with carrier oils like almond or avocado oil for its proper application.
Since no two kids with ADHD present with the same blend of manifestations. Each child responds differently to essential oils, different oils might be more viable for various kids.
Below are the lists of some famous essential oils used for ADHD and its applications.
1. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil promotes relaxation and helps in achieving sound sleep. It also helps to reduce stress and calm one’s mind thus increasing the person’s concentration and focus.
The oil gives you a nice sleep. It is also helpful for treating the anxiety issues. And it is very helpful in providing you relief from dizziness, or depression and it also helps you to sleep as well if you are facing problem in that.
Lavender essential oil is used as it has the qualities of being serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor. These qualities are useful for treating ADHD well. There are also compounds in ADHD that has sedative effects. It also is helpful in removing stress issues and to keep you calm.
How To Use?
- Lavender is really helpful in effective sleeping that’s why it is always advised to use lavender essential oil at night.
- You can apply some drops of it on your sinuses, cheeks and other portions to treat with ADHD as early as possible.
- Put some drops of it your diffuser for continuous intake through breathing.
- You can also apply it on the soles of your feet.
- Mix some drops of it in the carrier oil like almond oil or coconut oil or olive oil and apply it over the various areas of body.
- Take some drops of it on your palm and inhale it for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Vetiver Oil
Vetiver essential oil is obtained from a grass named vetiver. The oil has an earthy, warm smell. It promotes personal growth, helps release tension, improve concentration and focus, thus improves attention. This is because of its relaxing and calming properties.
Those persons who are not usually stabled, who could not think of their present or future properly. Then this essential oil is the best for you.
Some of you think more with heart than the brain, this essential oil deals with it properly. Vetiver essential oil is very helpful in the case when there is a lot of tension or stress. This provides you the positive energy, gives the fresh feeling and rejuvenates you.
This essential oil provides you calmness. You can take decisions of life properly and smoothly. This essential oil helps you to remain connected with yourself, your needs. This is what that is required for an ADHD patient. So, this essential oil is very helpful for an ADHD suffering patient.
How To Use?
- Vetiver essential oil has strong odour. So, you should use it in dilute form. You need to use 1 drop in 50ml of coconut oil. And then you can apply on various parts of body.
- This oil is very thick so you can also boil it for 4 to 5 minutes before to make it suitable for using.
- You can put 1 or 2 drops of this oil in the diffuser for refreshing environment.
- Put one drop in a carrier oil. Apply on your feet or inhale during morning and night. Ensure that you increase the dosage cautiously.
3. Cedar Wood Essential Oil
It helps to stimulate the thought process and mental synergy, thus improves attention and focus.
Cedarwood essential oil is the most ancient oil that is being used for various purposes from centuries. It increases the flow of blood especially in the brain. It oxygenates the brain and helps in bringing clear thoughts to the mind.
This oil is extracted from various parts of the cedar tree. The oil is very useful for balancing the feelings by activating the limbic region of your brain. Cedarwood essential oil has
Cedarwood essential oil has soothing and calming effect as well. It is usually used in the diffuser to maintain the positive, calm and good environment around you.
It is known to cure ADHD due to soothing and calming effect. Whenever you feel low you should use 4 to 5 drops of this essential oil in air. This works like a miracle for maintaining your feelings and emotions which is needed at the time of ADHD.
How To Use?
- You can spread 4 to 5 drops of this essential oil in the air for refreshment.
- You can also put this essential oil in the diffuser.
- If you like you can also apply it on your skin for the refreshment.
- Apply the oil in small quantities to the temples, base of the skull or neck. It can also be used in a diffuser or inhaled.
4. Frankincense Essential Oil
It induces relaxation, mental peace, and helps to reduce anxiety and stress. This, in turn, helps to increase focus.
Frankincense essential oil has an aroma that makes you feel spiritual connectivity. It is also helpful for maintaining your skin’s radiance. So, it is very helpful for maintaining your natural beauty. This is the oil which has a lot of natural effects and its boost the immune system. This helps in curing a lot of the diseases.
Frankincense essential oil activates the limbic system for proper growth of the brain and controlled working of it. This essential oil so helps in focussing your mind properly, for proper centring, comforting and elevation of your mind. The oil also helps in overcoming despair and stress and for combating depression as well. All these things are very helpful for an ADHD suffering person.
How To Use?
- You can place some drops of it under your tongue.
- Apply some drops of it behind your ears.
- Breathe the steam of this oil by putting some drops of it in water and boiling it.
- Do this daily till you feel properly normal.
- Can be applied on the skin or inhaled.
Other essential oils and their effects are listed below. They may be rubbed on the skin or inhaled.
5. Ylang Ylang
It helps to calm the person’s emotions and sedates the person. The sedative effect is because of the decrease in pulse rates and blood pressure.
It is known to be an all-rounder essential oil and it is usually said to be a must have essential oil. It makes you feel comfortable and good if you are under stress and it reduces your blood pressure as well.
According to the research, this essential oil has sedative effects. These sedative effects are measured by reduction in the pulse rate and the blood pressure. It can increase your attentiveness if you consume this essential oil in right amounts. Ylang ylang essential oil is very effective for the treatment of ADHD.
How To Use?
- You can put 4 to 5 drops of this oil in the diffuser 3 times a day for better results.
- After mixing some drops of this essential oil with almond or coconut oil and can apply on the feet and chest or other body parts of ADHD suffering people.
6. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary oil helps to increase concentration and helps those who are unable to study due to ADHD. It also helps in achieving, both emotional and physical stability. It helps to soothe your nerves and drives away any discomfort to your body.
The oil provides you patience and calmness. That’s why, in past times various people used to use rosemary flower garlands on their heads. This essential oil provides you concentration. So, those who cannot concentrate on their work, this oil is very beneficial.
In case of ADHD patients, this oil provides you both mental and physical stability. This oil encourages you to work on the right path with proper concentration. This generates the feeling to love of the work you are doing or whatever you do. Rosemary oil is like a God gifted-friendly oil to ADHD patients which always keeps you encouraged and motivated.
How To Use?
- You need to take some of the leaves of rosemary and boil it in the water.
- When steam starts coming out of it then bring your face over it to breathe the steam in.
- Do this for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Repeat this 2 times a day.
- Do it daily for effective results till you are properly recovered.
Helps to relax. Best when mixed with lavender.
Mandarin is one of the citrus oil. It is very helpful in calming mind and body. This is why it is used extensively in cases of ADHD for children. Its fruity smell promotes joy and helps to reduce depression.
How To Use?
This oil gives best results when combined with lavender oil. Apply a little amount of it on skin to feel the magic!
8. Melaleuca Oil
It helps people with ADHD due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to grow immunoglobulin cells in the body, which helps to increase the immunity of the patient’s body.
Melaleuca essential oil has the anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. Due to these properties, this essential oil has a lot of effective benefits. Melaleuca essential oil is known for improving your defence systems as it grows the immunity cells of your body.
It has anti-inflammatory properties due to which it is helpful in treating the ADHD suffering patients. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties it improves the body mechanism by growing the immunoglobin cells which are needed for the ADHD suffering patients to get relief from them.
How To Use?
- Diffuser is the best way for the intake of the melaleuca essential oil and to get its effects continuously and in dilute form.
- You can apply this on your chest or forehead or legs after mixing it with some carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil.
9. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil helps to calm and helps to increase concentration. Can be rubbed on the body or put in your food.
10. Cilantro Oil
It has high anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, lead-cleansing, antidepressant and neuroprotective qualities. It also helps to get rid of excessive mercury in the body as it binds itself with the mercury in the /body.
Children who suffer from ADHD have an excess of metal toxins present in them and cilantro essential oil has the properties to deal with them. This essential oil do not allow the deposits in the body. It helps in getting rid of the excess lead from the body. Through the process of chelation, cilantro essential oil removes lead and help in getting relief from ADHD.
How To Use?
- You can put some drops of this essential oil in the diffuser.
- Apply some drops of this essential mixed with olive or almond oil on forehead or soles of feet or cheeks.
- You can also take some drops of this essential oil on the palm and can inhale it by bringing palm near your nose.
It helps to sooth the person’s nervous system.The chemical constituents of patchouli oil include alpha patchoulene, beta patchoulene, alpha guaiene, alpha bulnesene, caryophyllene, norpatchoulenol, patchouli alcohol, seychellene and pogostol.
It is very useful for ADHD patients as it has a calming effect on the CNS and makes a person happier.
12. Cypress Oil
It helps to stabilize your thoughts and hence the patient can have a structured and organized thought pattern. It also helps to calm the person and attain emotional stability.
This is extracted from a tree that is naturally structured and organized and the same properties come in the oil as well. It is very helpful for the stability of your mind, to keep your mind away from uneven thoughts and unnecessary ideas.
Cypress essential oil provides you emotional stability.
When you are tensed and nervous then this essential oil keeps you calm down and make your mind to think positive. If you are a lot emotional then also this essential oil is very helpful. This helps in drying your tears and this does not let your tears shed down in the tensed situation.
You are able to control your emotions after taking the essence of this oil. Cypress essential oil is very beneficial for those ADHD patients as well who usually forgets things and whose thoughts travel on different trains. It completely stables you. So, cypress essential oil is really very effective for ADHD patients.
How To Use?
- You can use it by adding some drops of it in your diffuser so that you breathe it in continuously.
13. Valor Oil
It helps to restore confidence and also lifts the patient’s spirit. It helps to focus on the various tasks at hand. Mix it with a carrier oil and apply on your wrist, behind your ears or at the back of the neck.
14. Roman Chamomile
It comforts and soothes the person.
It calms your emotions with benefits of esters.
A mixture of essential oils also helps ADHD. Usually, a combination of essential oil is provided to the person. Make sure you store them in dark bottles.
Tips To Use The Oils In Different Situations
1. Peace And Calm
The name suggests its effects. It can be kept next to the sides of the neck or leg. It is a combination of
- Blue Tansy
- Ylang Ylang.
2. Calm Your Squirrel
It can be used for adults and children above the age of two. It helps to focus and increase concentration.
- 45 drops Atlas cedarwood
- 40 drops Lavender
- 40 drops Bergamot
- 20 drops Vetiver
- 20 drops Frankincense
- 60 drops Grapefruit
- 20 drops Sandalwood
- 40 drops Sweet Marjoram
Make sure you dilute the mixture with a carrier oil as it is a non-diluted mixture.
To massage or apply on the body: Add 1 Tbsp of carrier oil with eight drops(for children above two years), ten drops(above six years) and 15 drops(above ten years and for adults).
Diffuser: Use as indicated in the diffuser manual.
3. Brain Power
Help to increase focus and concentration. Combine the following:
- Blue Cypress
It can be applied to the throat and neck. It can also be diffused.
4. Anti-Anxiety Aromatherapy Blend
- 2 ml of Lavender
- 2 ml of Vetiver
- 1 ml of Cedarwood
Add ten drops in bath water for adults and five drops for children.
5. Soothing Child Blend
This blend helps to calm the patient and can be used on children above two years onwards.
- Ten drops of Vetiver oil
- Four drops of Lavender oil
- Four drops of Ylang Ylang
- Three-Four drops of German Chamomile
- Two drops of Frankincense
- Two drops of Clary Sage
- One drop of Marjoram
- One tsp of carrier oil (can increase the quantity)
Massage a small amount at the base of the skull. You can also add ten drops in a diffuser and run it for about half an hour.
6. Settle Down Blend
- 30 drops of Lavender
- 15 drops of Patchouli
- 15 drops of Vetiver
- Ten drops of Spruce
- Nine drops of Frankincense
- Ten drops of Ylang Ylang
- 25 drops of Carrier oil
Apply the mixture to the bottom of your feet and focus on the big toe. You can also apply on the insides of your wrists.
7. Relaxation Massage Oil
- 20 drops of Andarin
- 20 drops of Lavender
- 18-20 drops of Roman Chamomile
- 60 drops of Carrier oil
Use by massaging the tense shoulders, back of the neck, backside of your knees and at the bottom of your feet.
Safe Usage Of Essential Oils
Make sure you use a carrier oil when you apply the essential oil as this prevents from skin irritation.
Use 1/3rd of the recommended dosage of adults for children.
Let the person choose the oil that appeals to him the most. This way it helps the ADHD person more.
Do not directly inhale. Use a basin of warm water and let the patient inhale the vaporized form of the oil.
They should never be taken orally as some of them can be toxic if it is swallowed.
To help you better I will mention some lifestyle changes you should do to help an ADHD patient is a better way.
- Show Affection and take some back – Children living with ADHD need reassurance that they aren’t a bad child. If you only react to their negative behaviors, it can cause more negative behaviors in return.
- Provide Opportunities for Success – A child knows when you are excited and happy for them from the core of your heart. So provide them with opportunities where they can succeed.
- Regular Physical Exercise & Outdoor Games –Children suffering from ADHD, burning some of the excess energy of the day can help to maintain normal hormonal balance, and provide them the building blocks for healthy bones and muscles.
- Create a Child-Friendly environment.
- Teach Your Child to how to cook.
- Allow them to get at least 8 hours of sleep everyday.
One big disadvantage of using the essential oil therapy are that some essential oils cause itching in some individuals as they might be allergic to it. If you have a sensitive skin make sure to first try it on a small patch of skin before applying it everywhere or consult your doctor first.
Using essential oil will give an ADHD patient relief from the hard work he does all day to keep up with others and try to understand why he is so different from other people. Give a full body massage to relax them before sleeping every night, so that next day morning the patient is revitalized and full of energy.
Also, make sure that the patient likes the smell of the particular oil you are using so that it doesn’t make them more frustrated than they already are. Let us try to understand them and help them better to give them a better life.