You can get rid of bunions naturally at home by using some of the effective home remedies and lifestyle changes.
You might have heard, the elderly people complaining about corns or bunions.
Bunions are the deformation of the bone caused at the joint of the big toe. A Bunion can irritate your skin, and there might be severe pain in it.
It is said that if the person is facing this problem, he/she feels irritated and many times loose confidence.
The primary result of the bunion is that people cannot walk properly, and no shoes fit them due to the bump caused by the deformation of the bone. Women are more prone to this problem.
A Bunion can be treated naturally. You should not wear tight or high heel shoes, perform exercise daily. Maintain your weight.
We shall read about causes, symptoms, and home remedies to cure the bunion in this article. We shall see how Epson salt, castor oil, lavender oil, bay leaf and red bell pepper help in treating the bunion.
So, now let’s begin to know about them.
What Is A Bunion?
A bunion is a bony and lumpy deformity formed at the base joint of the big toe. When Bunions are formed bone at the joint of the big toe move out of its place. It pushes toward the other toe of the foot.
The medical name for bunions is Hallux Valgus. It is also proved that Bunions are salt deposits, and their formation is active due to gout and poor metabolism.
It is also believed improper nutrition and wearing uncomfortable shoe results into painful bunions.
Gradually, the big toe joint becomes enlarged and painful.
These painful joints lead to problems in doing exercise and walking. Many times these bunions result in the pain of hip, knee and lower back. The joints eventually become stiff and sore.
So, it is irritating to wear shoes.
Causes Of Bunion
There are different causes of the bunions. It might be genetic, arthritis or wearing of high heels or narrow-toed shoes. So lets, begin to know about them:
If other members of your family have bunions, this may lead to abnormal foot function as overpronation that results in the development of bunions.
This inherited component abnormality may be common in youngsters. This abnormal tissue leads to muscle imbalance and deformity.
But, this doesn’t mean every individual will develop bunions.
2. Deformities Present At Birth (Congenital)
Many times bunion is seen in infants, newborn at the time of birth. This is a birth deformity caused due to genetics.
3. Excessive Weight
When the increased weight falls on the joints and your feet. The imbalance in the pressure makes the big toe joint unstable, and it molds the joint and makes it stiff as a hard knob. This results into a bunion.
Arthritis may also cause bunions. Here, two types of arthritis are included:
It is the inflammation and pain in the joints, where the joint lining is attacked, and the immune system is also suffered.
Gout is a type of arthritis that mainly affects the big toe.
This type of arthritis is associated with the skin condition like psoriasis.
5. Loose Alignment
Loose Alignments, flexible joints, and low muscle tone are also responsible for developing the bunions.
6. Foot Injuries
Foot injuries, sprains, fractures, and nerve injuries may also result in the painful developing bunion
7. Neuromuscular Disorders
Marfan syndrome, a connective tissue disorder and other neuromuscular condition as cerebral palsy may also result in bunions
8. Poorly Fitting Shoes
Tight-fitting shoes, high-heel and narrow-toed shoes, increase the risk for a bunion. Tight footwear results in the pain and swelling of bunions.
Tight shoes rub against the big toe joint and High-heeled shoes squeeze the feet; it causes the big toe to remain in a bent position. This stretches the toe, puts the pressure on the nerves around it and leads to pain.
High heels push most the body weight forward on the front of the foot; this places the strain on the toe joints.
Symptoms Of Bunion
The Symptoms Of A Bunion Are
- A bulging bony lump on the outside of the joint at the base of your big toe.
- There might be swelling, redness and soreness around the big toe joint.
- The skin at the base of your big toe may be thickened.
- Corns often develop where the first and second toes overlap.
- Persistent or intermittent pain on the hard bump.
- There might be a problem in the movement of your big toe.
How To Get Rid Of Bunions Home Remedy
There are different home remedies to get rid of bunions. Lets us know about them
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil massage enhances the blood circulation, and this regulates the synovial fluid to move the bones. This increases the blood flow in the body.
Synovial fluid lubricates and nourishes the joints, this dissolves the outer layer of calcium and diminishes the size of the bunion.
How To Use Olive Oil To Get Rid Of A Bunion?
Warm some olive oil and massage on toes and the bunion for 20 days twice a day.
2. Ice Pack
Ice fermentation can reduce pain and swelling. Use ice packs to alleviate the swelling.
How To Use Ice Pack In Bunion?
- Put some ice cubes inside an ice bag and keep it on the bunion for about 10 minutes,five times a day. This will reduce the swelling.
3. Red Pepper
Red Capsicum or Red Pepper is rich in an element called capsaicin. This compound helps to mitigate the pain and irritation caused by the bunion. It diminishes the compound of the nerve that causes pain.
How To Use Red Pepper For Curing Bunion?
- You can cut the red pepper into two pieces and apply its juice on the bunion. Then apply some petroleum jelly on it and tie a small cloth on it. Repeat this twice a day to alleviate the pain. But, wash the hands after every use.
It is recommended first to use the red pepper on a small patch. If no irritation persists, then apply it on the bunion.
4. Castor Oil
Castor oil has anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces swelling and pain. When hot castor oil is applied on the bunion, it improves the blood circulation of the area and relieves soreness and pain.
How To Use Castor Oil In Bunion?
- Heat some castor oil and dip a cotton cloth in it. Now, tie this cloth around the bunion. Cover it with the towel for a while so that it remains hot for some time. You can try this for about three times a day to reduce swelling and pain caused due to the bunion.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt contains a compound called magnesium sulfate, this aids in decalcifying the joint. Thus, results in treating the bunion by decreasing its size. It also helps in reducing the pain.
How To Use Epsom Salt In Curing Bunion?
- You can put half cup of Epsom salt in the hot water bucket, dip your legs in the water for twenty minutes. You can try this twice a day. This will surely minimize the inflammation and pain and gradually treat the lump.
6. Bay Leaf
Bay leaf has ingredients that break the salt deposits of the body. There are mainly two ways that bay leaf can help to cure the bunion. It alleviates the pain and gradually decreases the size of the bump and treats it.
How To Use Bayleaf For Treating Bunion?
There are two methods that bay leak can be used to treat bunion, and they are:
a) Take about one tablespoon of crushed bay leaf and pour it in a cup of water. Now bring it to boil for about 2-3 minutes. Pour the solution in a flask at night. In the morning, strain the mixture and drink it in a proportion of three times, i.e. to drink it three times a day, take small sips.
Repeat this treatment for three days. Prepare the fresh concoction every night. Then, start the treatment after seven days.
This treatment should last for two months.
This solution is diuretic so that you will experience frequent urines.
This is also the sign that bay leaf is allowing the salt deposits to break and is curing the bunion.
You will experience relief in the pain just after ten days.
B) You can take about five bay leaves and pour it in half cup of alcohol that is 96% pure. Keep it for a week.
Now, after seven days soak your legs in a mixture of warm water and one tablespoon of baking soda. Dry your feet. After that, strain the bay leaf mixture and apply on the bunion. Then wear cotton socks.
The combination of aspirin and iodine works wonderfully on the bunion. It relieves pain and prevents it from growing further.
7. Standard And Regular Soaps
Many times popular soaps also help in alleviating pain and swelling.
You need to take small pieces of soaps and apply it on the bunion in the circular movement. Rinse it and put some iodine after it dries.
You can use cotton buds to apply iodine. Once it dries on the skin, wear socks. You can follow this once a day for about a month.
8. Lemon Juice And Iodine
You can also mix lemon juice and iodine In equal proportions and apply On the heel spur Or a bunion. This will efficiently treat it.
9. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps reduce the swelling and redness of the joint and the bump.
How To Use Lavender Oil For Bunion?
- Massage the lavender oil on the bump every night. This will help in diminishing the pain and size of the bump.
10. Hot Compresses
It is stated that hot water fermentation can also assist in curing the bunion. Here hot water compression has to be done. But, the evidence has proved ice packs are better than hot water compresses.
Now, we shall read about the precautions that are to be followed to avoid bunions.
- Maintain an average weight.
- Excessive weight could increase the pressure on the toes and leg joints. This would result in the pain and bone deformity. So, maintain your weight to get rid of the joint problems.
- Always use footwear that is comfortable.
- Avoid wearing tight shoes and heel topped bellies all the time.
- It is recommended to wear wide shoes so that your big toe never touches the end of the shoe. There should be enough space so that a foot should move and your big toe could realign.
- Thus, wear footwears that are comfortable when you walk, run or do your daily work.
- Perform toe exercises that relax your muscles. You should stretch your big toe so that it realigns with the foot. Exercise daily when you take off your shoes.
- If the problem persists; Rather than the home remedies, you can also purchase pads, these will protect the concerned toe and superior part of the foot. This will stop the growth of the bunion.
- Use some special insoles that would aid in the realignment of the bones of the feet. This will help you to get rid of bunions.
- There is special bunion splint available in the market. You are advised to wear them, this will realign your big toe and would give rest to your foot, it shall also ease the pain.
If the pain persists, you are advised to visit a foot specialist to get treatment.
So, now when we have read about natural treatments to get rid of bunions, advise elderly people to follow the remedies to cure it and lead a happy, relaxed life.