Fat or swollen feet can ruin your entire day. They can cause discomfort while walking and can be embarrassing too. But, Relax. This article has come to your rescue and will help you to get rid of fat feet in no time.
What are fat feet?
There is probably no need of any definition, fat feet are chubby feet as opposite to skinny feet.
People can have fat feet or chubby feet by birth or the feet can become fat overtime due to many factors.
Swollen feet also get the name of fat feet. They are totally different from chubby feet, as swollen feet can be accompanied by pain and discomfort.
Swollen and fat feet are very common during pregnancy as well. Read on to know the various factors that can cause fat feet and some remedies to help you with the same.
Causes Of Fat feet
Feet can become fat over time due to a number of factors. Some of them are as follows:
- If you have gained weight or are putting on weight, the weight will be distributed throughout your body. Thereby, fat can be accumulated on the feet too. This will give feet a chubby appearance.
- Sitting in a place for long hours can also cause fat feet. This is because the blood circulation is disrupted.
- Being overweight or lack of exercise can also cause fat feet. If this is the reason, then you should visit your doctor, as he can help you with some exercises.
- Feet can also appear fat and swollen during pregnancy. This is very normal. But, if you see your feet swelled up all of a sudden during pregnancy accompanied by abdominal pain, headaches, nausea, infrequent urination, vomiting or vision changes then call a doctor immediately.
- An injury to the foot can also make it look fat and swollen. An Injury like a sprained ankle is very common.
- Feet can look fat because of swelling due to edema. This means the feet can become fat due to excessive standing or walking.
- Side effects from medications can also have fluid retention in the body which can result in swollen feet. These medications can be steroids, NSAIDs, hormone medications, antidepressant, cardiac medications, and medication for people with diabetes and calcium channel blockers.
- Blood clots in the vessels of the foot can cause fluid to leak out of the vessel into the tissue and make the feet appear swollen and fat.
- Patients of heart disease, kidney disease, and liver disease can have fat swollen feet.
- Due to infections, trauma, or surgical procedures the lymph vessels or lymph nodes get blocked resulting in blockage of lymph fluid and this can cause lymphedema.
Symptoms of Swollen Fat Feet
The symptoms of swollen fat feet are as follows:
- In most cases of swollen feet, the swelling is bilateral that is present in both the feet.
- The skin becomes puffy and soft; feet look enlarged.
- There can also be a change in the skin color. The skin might look slightly pale.
- After wearing shoes or socks there are indentions in the skin.
How To Get Rid Of Fat Feet (Swollen Feet) Naturally
These treatments can help you get rid of swollen fat feet along with pain or discomfort if any. Following are easy to do ways to get rid of fat feet due to swelling.
1. Raise Your Feet Above Your Heart
A very simple way to reduce swelling in the feet is to raise your feet above your heart while sitting or lying down.
2. Exercise On A Regular Basis
If you sit continuously in one place like at your office, then you can have fat feet. Try to move around a bit. A very healthy option is to avoid the elevator and take the stairs.
3. Massage Your Feet
A foot massage can help you to get rid of swelling in the feet. It will relax your muscles and improve blood circulation.
- The best oil for massage is mustard oil or olive oil. Simple take any oil from these two and warm it.
- Massage for 5-10 minutes, gently in an upward motion.
4. Epsom Salt
Esom salt works magically to reduce swelling as it has magnesium sulfate which is easily absorbed through the skin and helps to improve blood circulation. It also helps to reduce swelling fast.
- In a tub filled with warm water add ½ cup of Epsom salt.
- Put your feet in it for 10- 15 minutes.
Ginger has anti –inflammatory properties which reduces swelling. It is also a diuretic, which means it helps dilute sodium, which is a main reason behind swelling.
- You can take ginger tea or chew raw ginger slices.
- Or you can take some ginger oil and massage it on your feet.
6. Lemon Water
Drinking lemon water is not only useful as it flushes toxins from the body, but also because it has anti-inflammatory properties.
It helps to keep the body hydrated, which reduces swelling.
- Squeeze out lemon juice and mix 2 tablespoons of it in a cup of warm water.
- Adding honey or sugar to sweeten; this is optional.
- Drink this few times a day.
Dandelion is also a diuretic and helps to regulate sodium levels and reduce swelling.
- You can take dandelion supplements after consulting your doctor.
- Or you can add 1 teaspoon of fresh and dried dandelion leaves in a hot cup of water. Let it cool down and steep for 5 minutes and strain it. You can take this tea 2-3 times a day.
8. Coriander Seeds
Coriander seed is also anti-inflammatory and help to reduce swelling and improve blood circulation.
- In 1 cup of water, add 2-3 teaspoons of coriander seeds.
- Boil the solution till it reduces to half.
- Strain the solution, let it cool and drink it.
- Use this remedy 2 times a day.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps to reduce fluid retention which in turn helps to reduce swelling.
- To 1 glass of water, add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and some raw honey to it. Mix it well and drink this twice daily.
- Or in a bowl, mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water. Soak a towel in it and wring out the excess liquid. Wrap the towel on round your swollen feet. You can do this 10 times daily for a few times a day.
The main cause of edema is the deficiency of magnesium in the body and it can cause swollen feet. For this you can simply:
- Eat foods rich in magnesium nuts, avocado, bananas, dark chocolate, fish, soybeans and dark leafy vegetables.
- Or you can take magnesium supplements after consulting your doctor.
Exercise To Get Rid Of Fat Feet
Regular exercise is obviously good for the body but it also helps to reduce fat feet. It helps to stimulate and improve blood circulation. You can incorporate various exercises in your daily routine which can be beneficial for the body and also help to reduce fat in the feet.
- Do at least 30 minutes walking or jogging every day.
- Yoga helps to improve blood circulation and helps the body to get rid of toxins and stress.
- Swimming is also an option. It can greatly reduce swelling and relieve inflammation.
- If your body weight is the reason for fat feet, then focus on losing your weight and start an exercise routine and start a healthy diet plan.
There are a few exercises you can incorporate to get rid of swollen feet like:
1. Point And Flex
This exercise helps to improve blood circulation in the feet. Sit on the ground with one of your leg stretched forward. Have your back straight and arms at your sides. Point your toe forward, away from you as far as possible and stretch as much as you can.
Hold this position for 5 seconds and very slowly bring your feet back to the original position, pointing to the sky. Do this exercise 10 times on each foot.
2. Toe Squeeze
This is a strengthening exercise which will increase blood circulation by strengthening the muscles of your toe.
Be seated and place a flexible object like a cotton ball between each toe. When you are done with all the toes, sit straight and squeeze all your toes together.
Hold this position for 5 seconds and then release slowly. Do this 10n times on each foot.
3. In And Out With Resistance Bands
All you need for this exercise is a rubber therapy band or a resistance band. Sit on the floor with your legs extending out.
Now, take the band around your feet so that your feet are secured and with your hand hold the band. Pull the tops of your feet away from each other.
Make sure that the band is in position and you can feel the resistance of the band while you pull your feet away. Hold this position for 5 seconds and repeat this exercise for 10 times.
4. Rock Your Foot
Along with treating your swollen feet, this exercise will also strengthen your calves and ankles.
Simply stand straight in a good posture and rock forward to the balls of your feet and pause and then rock back on your heels.
Be careful while doing this exercise and take control of your movements. Do 10 rocking on each foot.
5. Tennis Ball Massage
For this, you need a tennis ball or a lacrosse ball.
Sit on a chair or stand on a leveled ground. Under the arch of your left foot, place the tennis ball or lacrosse ball.
Roll the ball under your feet but do not apply a lot of pressure. Move the ball from the heel to the toes. Do this on each foot for 30 seconds.
Yoga Poses To Treat Swollen Feet
Yoga can also help to treat swollen feet. There are a lot of asanas or poses in yoga which can prove helpful.
There are standing poses in yoga like tadasana which can improve blood circulation in the feet. While doing such asanas you should stretch the sole of the foot and elongate the toes.
2. Inversion Poses
In inverse poses you are supposed to put your feet up. A very helpful inverse yoga pose for treating swollen feet is Viparita Karani.
In this pose you have to hold your leg against the wall. For this pose you have to support your lower back against something like lots of blankets and lie on the floor with your torso perpendicular to the wall and your feet and legs should be against the wall creating a 90 degree angle.
Remain in this position for 5-15 minutes, with your body relaxed and breathe deeply.
List Of Yoga Poses To Help You Get Rid Of Swollen Feet
Here is a list of yoga poses you can incorporate in your daily exercise routine to get rid of swollen feet.
- Viparita karani
- Warrior pose
- Setu bandha asana
- Surya Namaskar
Fat Feet During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, some women can experience swollen hands and feet (edema). This is not an abnormality and sometimes edema is a part of a healthy pregnancy.
Tips To Get Rid Of Swollen Feet During Pregnancy
1. Massage The Feet
Massaging helps to improve blood circulation and relaxes the muscles.
2. Avoid Hot Weather
Going out in hot weather and staying indoors in a warm room can increase edema. The body will start storing fluid and will store it in your hands and feet and give them a puffy swollen look.
3. Take A Cool Swim
Cool water will help you to bring down your body temperatures and reduce swelling. Swimming in moderately cool water is good as it will improve blood circulation.
4. Apply Cold Compress
A Cold compress can reduce edema and help you to get rid of puffy feet. You can do this 10-15 minutes once every 2hours.
5. Sleep In A Cool Environment
Sleeping in a well ventilated and cool room can help your body breathe and adjust its temperature. This will significantly help to lower your edema.
6. Drink Plenty Of Water
Water will help to keep your body hydrated and flush out toxins and then the body will stop water retention.
Precautions To Prevent Fat Feet
- Exercising regularly will improve blood circulation and in return, it will lower fat in feet or swelling.
- If your body weight is the reason behind fat feet, then consider dropping some pounds.
- Eat a healthy diet and drink lots of water to prevent water retention.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol as they can also cause swelling in feet.
- If you have to sit in a place for long, take small breaks and exercise to improve blood circulation.
Surgery For Fat Feet
Apart from the above natural ways to get rid of fat feet, there is an alternative which is rather expensive.
Plastic surgery is available to help you get rid of ‘toe-besity’! There are many surgeries for the feet, which are available like lube job or Cinderella surgery.
All of them help to cut out fat from the feet through liposuction and shape the feet. But if you are thinking about getting this done, then there is a word of caution for you by the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society.
They are totally against this new craze to modify feet via cosmetic surgery as they believe it can be dangerous and lead to foot complications like infection, permanent nerve damage, bleeding, scarring and chronic pain while walking.
Side Effects From The Surgery
As discussed above there is a list of side effects according to the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society, which can spring if you opt for surgery like:
- Permanent nerve damage
- Chronic pain while walking
If you have fat feet by birth it is nothing to be ashamed of. Be happy and proud with what you are gifted with. But, if fat in the feet increase overtime it is a matter of concern. Find out the cause and take steps accordingly. Moreover, if you experience swelling and pain, it would be advisable to use the above home remedies and make an appointment with a doctor if your condition doesn’t improve.
These methods would surely help to get rid of fat feet. Likely, many of you might be worried about the face fat or the fat along the body.
There are home remedies to get rid of face fat too. The fat loss along the body should be done in a right way. It should be properly monitored. Just follow the correct method and stay healthy.