You can get rid of swollen lip naturally by using home remedies.If you are worried about what can you take for a swollen lip to go down then this is must read the article for you.Discover the causes, symptoms and home remedies to reduce swollen lip fast.
Waking up to the sight of swollen lips can be very frightening. The extent up to which your lips swell is another concern.Swollen lips are commonly called lipedema. Either one or both your lips enlarge and distend beyond their average size.
Staying with swollen lips, whether or not they are painless or painful, is a stress on its own. Such a medical phenomenon obviously can’t emerge out of the blue!
So, besides the causes of lip swelling, you should note all the variations in the symptoms. This is vital when providing advice on the methods of treatment to use, when to treat it and when you must visit a doctor.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Swollen Lips
Learning how to treat your swollen lips naturally is beneficial. It is because of their applicability at home. Another reason is that they are ideal when the swelling is very embarrassing.
1. Warm Compress Your Lips
If the swelling of your lips exceeds a week, you need to apply warm compression to reduce the swelling. Warm compression improves the blood flow in the affected area.
This eventually reduces the swelling and avoids accumulation of any other fluid. Remember not to do this on open blisters and sores because it is going to inflict more pain.For increased you can also alternate between warm compress and cold compress.
2. Turmeric Powder Ointment To Reduce Swollen Lips
Turmeric’s antiseptic or antibacterial properties make this the best treatment at home for swollen lips. Fuller’s earth mixed with this can also give you excellent results.
- To prepare the paste, you need to mix a little turmeric powder and fuller’s earth in cold water. Add small quantities of water until it becomes a sticky paste. Then, clean the swollen area on your lip and apply the paste.
- Allow it dry for some time and then wash it off with warm water. Remember not to pout any soap on it.This remedy will help you get rid of a swollen lip overnight.
3. Black Tea Soak To Heal Swollen Lips
- You can try the black tea procedure. Tannins present in tea acts as an astringent to lessen the swelling on your lips.
- Soak tea leaves for about 20 minutes in lukewarm water. Cut out a thin layer of cloth or cotton and soak up tea.
- Place the cloth or cotton on your lips for about half an hour. Wash off with cold water and pat dry.
4. Aloe Vera Gel To Cure Swollen Lips
If a bee or a wasp sting you on your lips, inflammation accompanied by pain and swelling is the first sign.You need to stop the chemical compound in the sting to spread across your lips.Just cut open an aloe leaf and scoop out the gel. You can apply it directly and massage the sides around the stinging point.
5. Honey To Reduce Swollen Lips
Honey has a natural healing and an antibacterial property to effectively treat a swollen lip.It keeps your lips moisturized, prevents infection and reduces inflammation, along with the swelling and pain. The application is simple.
Dip some cotton in a teaspoon of honey and apply it to the affected area. Leave it on for 20-25 minutes. Wash with cold water and pat dry. You can repeat this two or three times a day.
6. Coconut Oil
Organic coconut oil is a blessing when it comes to treating skin ailments. Its antimicrobial properties eliminate harmful bacteria and viruses and absorb all impurities from the skin pores.
It also happens to be a great emollient and keeps your skin nourished and supple. Simply massage coconut oil on your lips for a few minutes and leave it on for a few hours.Rinse with cold water and pat dry. Apply as many times you want.
7. Baking Soda To Heal Swollen Lips
Baking soda can be used for almost all kinds of skin related issues. It is the best way to cure the problem of swollen lips.Swelling of your lips due to an insect bite, a blister or any allergens can be cured by the application of baking soda.
Simply mix some water and baking soda to make the paste out of it. Apply this paste to the lips for a few minutes and then rinse with cold water.
Oranges are full of vitamin C and antioxidants. The Vitamin C helps you to repair the damaged tissues on your lips and reduce the swelling.Your skin tissues are maintained well with a little help from vitamin C from your diet.
You must include oranges in your diet if you want to do away with swollen lips. This will help you get a fast recovery from your problem. It can be best taken in the form of juice.
9. Ice Cubes
Ice cubes are can also be applied to your swollen lip to prevent further swelling and reduce the pain.But remember not to apply ice cubes directly on your lips. Cover them with any clean cloth and keep it on your lips.
The swollen nature of your lips will soon be cured after repeated application. Keep doing this until the problem goes away. Regular use of ice cubes also creates a numbing feeling which helps release pain.
- Salt acts as a natural disinfectant that helps you to remove infection-causing agents from your lips. It also prevents the formation of other infections.
- If you are suffering from swollen lips due to certain infections, you can make use of salt as the solution! Simply dissolve a tablespoon of salt in lukewarm water.
- Then, soak some cotton in it and then directly apply it to your lips. Keep doing this till you get relief.
11. Tea Tree Oil To Heal Swollen Lips
Tea tree oil contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is very strong, so you must make sure you dilute it with water or coconut oil before using your lips.
This will help you reduce the swelling and keep your lips moisturized. Alternatively, you may also use tea tree oil along with aloe vera gel.
12. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel works magic for cuts. But, it works wonders on swollen lips as well. It will help you soothe the affected area, and reduce the swelling by removing any traces of infection.
- You can use this with salt. Make a mixture out of it, and apply it to the affected area.
- Then, leave it on for about half an hour. Rinse with cold water. You can repeat this procedure as many times as you want. Soon you will notice visible changes.
13. Warm Sand
Warm sand wrapped in a cloth is a very way to get rid of a lip injury. If you are punched, or if you have a lip piercing, if you bite your lips, or if you simply get hit by any blunt object you are bound to have cuts left behind.
- Simply collect some fine-grained sand and wrap it tightly in a piece of cloth. Make sure the sand you collect is dry and clean.
- Now, place this bundle on a hot plate for a few minutes until it is hot. Gently dab your lips with this and repeat as many times as you want. It might cause a little sting, but it will help in faster healing.
- The warm compress will prevent any accumulation of blood in the affected area. This will eventually reduce the swelling and inflammation in the affected area.
Treatment For Swollen Lips
Treating your swollen lip is possible! You should visit a dermatologist if you suspect it is a kind of an allergy, a medical condition or trauma. The healing process becomes easier if the source of the allergy is identified.
Swelling linked to a cold sore infection may lack the cure. You need to combine home remedies along with medical treatments for eliminating the other infections from causing symptoms.
1. Treatment Using Adrenaline
- The first and the most common medications used are adrenaline injections. Adrenaline is very effective for curing swelling of lips caused by allergic reaction, including anaphylaxis. It also acts against harmful effects that are produced by your immune system.
- However, it is recommended that you discuss with your doctor before taking adrenaline injections.
- Antihistamines are yet another solution to swollen lips. These drugs specifically help us to relieve the symptoms quickly.
- Oral antihistamines are prescribed by a doctor. Administration of various kinds of antihistamine relies mainly upon possible side effects, effectiveness, and the diagnosis of the doctor to determine symptoms amongst others. Some of the examples of these are Chlorpheniramine Hydroxyzine, Benadryl and Loratidine.
- If the swelling of your upper and lower lips is because of Angioedema and allergic reactions, you must seek medical help immediately. Only then he or she will be able to prescribe antihistamines to you.
3. Anti-inflammatory Medicines – Corticosteroids & Non-steroids
- As the topical treatment, the best ones include corticosteroids that have a fast action to reduce and control swelling.
- Prescribed corticosteroids, like, acetaminophen and ibuprofen, Clofazimine and Sulfasalazine, are quite effective.
- As per doctor’s advice on the use of antibiotics, one of the drawbacks of anti-inflammatory medicines is with the duration.
A wide variety of mild to serious disorders and diseases can lead to lip swelling. We saw that swelling results from infections, trauma, inflammation, or malignancy (cancer).
To help your doctor diagnose the cause of lip swelling, you must answer simple questions related to the symptoms. Things like:
- When did the swelling start?
- How long has it lasted? Does it reoccur?
- Contact with any unusual substances.
The complications that are associated with swollen lips are progressive, and they vary depending on the cause. If you fail to seek treatment, the swelling can result in subsequent complications and permanent damage.
You must always consult your doctor if you experience any persistent swelling, discoloration, or any other unusual symptom. Once the fundamental cause is diagnosed, a treatment plan can be made specifically for you to help you reduce any complications like:
- Skin or other tissue removals
- Difficulty in breathing or a respiratory arrest from anaphylactic shock.
- Spread of the infection to other parts of the body, including your blood.