You can straighten your hair naturally using home remedies.For this, you don’t have to damage your hair cause it is without use of any harmful harsh chemicals.
Our hair strands are made up of keratin (which is a fibrous protein), weak hydrogen bonds and natural oils. Keratin and the hydrogen bonds give hair its natural structure.
What heat does is that it breaks the hydrogen bond and moulds your hair the way you want it. But this method can damage hair drastically if used often.
Hence, below are a few methods that can help you straighten hair without using any heat and avoid damaging it.
Home Remedies To Straighten Hair Naturally
We all know that milk has nourishing properties; hence, it helps keep hair smooth and well moisturised. The protein in milk protects the hair shafts from damage, making them smooth and frizz free.
a. Milk Alone
- Mix about 1 ½ cup of milk and water each in a bowl and store it in a spraying bottle.
- Spray a very lavish amount of this onto your hair and scalp and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off after 30 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
b. Milk And Honey (Strawberries If Available)
- For this hair, mask mixes 1 cup of milk and 1tsbp of honey in a bowl and mix thoroughly until a uniform consistency is formed.
- Apply it onto the scalp and hair and leave it on for one hour.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or a damp towel so that heat is retained.
- After an hour rinse off the mixture from your hair with water followed by shampooing and conditioning your hair.
To this hair mask of milk and honey, you can add 3-4 strawberries if available for better results. Mash three to four strawberries and add it to the mixture of milk and honey and mix it well followed by the same steps of applying it to your hair and rinsing it off.
c. Milk And Eggs
- To two cups of milk add 1 egg and mix well in a bowl.
- Apply this mix on to the hair and leave it on for 10 minutes, after 10 minutes squeeze off the excess amount of this mixture on your hair and fold up your hair into a bun.
- Apply a shower cap and leave this on for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes wash your hair with shampoo and condition it well.
2. Coconut Milk
The masks that contain coconut milk should be applied twice a week for at least two months to see noticeable results.
a. Coconut Milk And Lemon Juice
- To 1 cup of coconut milk add the juice of one lemon and mix it well in a jar.
- Refrigerate this mixture for a couple of hours till you notice a white creamy layer on top.
- Once the creamy layer is obtained, massage it onto your hair and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- After waiting for 20 minutes cover your head with a shower cap and over this shower cap place a warm moist towel and further leave this on for 30 minutes.
- After the hiatus of 50 minutes wash it off with shampoo and condition your hair.
b. Coconut Milk, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, And Starch
- To one cup of coconut milk add 5-6 tbsp of lemon juice, 2 tbsp olive oil, and 3 tbsp corn starch.
- For all these components to mix well with each other heat them at low temperature stirring continuously till smooth.
- Keep heating it till the consistency of a bottled conditioner is reached.
- Once the required consistency is obtained, cool this and apply it on to your hair.
- Leave it for about 50-60 minutes and then wash your hair with shampoo and condition.
3. Eggs And Olive Oil
Eggs have been known to strengthen hair and olive oil is used to moisturise hair, both of these ingredients give us shinier and healthier hair. When combined they give us the benefit of both and we get straighter looking hair.
- To two eggs add 4 tbsp of olive oil and mix well in a bowl
- Apply this on to the hair and comb your hair so that this mix is evenly distributed on every strand of the hair.
- After this process folds up the hair and applies a shower cap, leave this on for about 30-45 minutes
- Wash it off with shampoo and condition your hair after 45 minutes.
- You can also add curd to this mix to reduce the after smell of eggs on your hair.
4. Fullers Earth
Fullers earth commonly known as multanni mitti is a very good substance used to get rid of frizz in the hair.
- To one cup of fullers earth and 1 egg white only and 2 tbsp of rice flour
- Add enough water to get a medium thick paste and apply this on your hair
- Leave it on for one hour.
- Wash this off with only water and squeeze out excess water.
- Spray a good amount of milk after this and leave it on for 15 minutes
- Rinse it with water after 15 minutes.
- Finally, shampoo your hair and condition it.
5. Aloe Vera
This is a very useful plant as it has many enzymes that help in hair growth and taming of frizzy hair by moisturising it deeply.
- To aloe vera gel, add olive oil.
- For even more benefits add 6 drops of rosemary oil or sandalwood oil.
- Mix this to form a paste and massage this paste onto your hair and leave it in for about two hours.
- Apply a shower cap to retain heat and finally wash it off with shampoo and condition your hair.
Aloe vera is also used to prevent gray hair naturally.
6. Celery Leaves
The juice of celery leaves if applied regularly can straighten hair naturally.
- Take a bunch of celery leaves and squeeze out the juice from them in whatever way convenient for you-either in a grinder or by chopping it finely followed by adding water and pressing it by applying lots of pressure.
- Strain the juice obtained using a muslin cloth and store it for 2 days.
- After two days apply it onto your hair and leave it on for a couple of hours
- wash it off using shampoo and condition your hair.
7. Banana Hair Mask
- For this hair mask mash two over ripe bananas and to this add 2tbsp each of olive oil, yogurt and honey.
- Blend all these ingredients to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on your hair using your hands or using a brush.
- Leave this on for 30 minutes and then shampoo as usual and condition your hair.
Another hair mask that includes banana is the banana and papaya hair mask.
- For this hair mask mash 2-3 bananas and add a one- a fifth of a papaya into it and mash both these ingredients well.
- Add two tbsp of honey to this and mix well.
- Apply this on to your hair
- follow the remaining same steps of washing your hair with shampoo and conditioning it.
8. Hot Oil Massage
Oil massages can help get rid of frizz and smoothes out hair if applied with the proper techniques, and if hot oil is used then it can penetrate the scalp and nourish hair from the insides and help grow long, healthy and shiny straight hair.
a. Castor Oil
- Mix equal amounts of castor oil and soyabean oil, warm them and apply onto your scalp and massage.
- Leave it on for an hour and wash it off with shampoo and condition your hair well.
b. Almond Oil
Heat almond oil and massage it on your scalp and wash it off using your shampoo.
While conditioning your hair, add 3-4 drops of sweet almond oil into your conditioner and apply this conditioner.
This will make hair shiny and smooth making it look straighter after every use.
It is said that alcohol can straighten hair out because of its low pH. The low acidic pH helps to close the cuticles hence sealing in the moisture and making hair more moisturised and straight.
For this method add a shot of vodka into your conditioner and use this conditioner every time you shampoo your hair.
After a few weeks of regular use, you will be able to results with shinier sleeker hair.
Vinegar is another easy ingredient that can help straighten hair.
After shampooing and conditioning of hair, add a few drops of vinegar in a mug full of water and rinse your hair using this vinegar water.
When used regularly it will make hair shiny, sleek and straight.
11. Brush Hair Till Dry
For this method to work, a little effort will have to be put in from your side.
- After washing and conditioning, your hair dries it with a towel till it is damp.
- Now, divide your hair into 5-6 portions depending on the thickness of your hair.
- Keep combing this damp hair every five minutes from roots to tips while stretching the divided portions of your hair.
- As your hair dries while you do this, you will see that your hair is starting to look straight.
You can speed up this process by using a table fan to dry your hair but you have to comb your hair continuously and not just every five minutes.
12. Wrap Wet Hair Tightly
There are various steps you have to follow for this method to work. After washing and condoning ( use a deep conditioner to weigh down your hair to help them look straight) your hair:
- Partition your hair into two from the centre.
- Now on each side divide your hair into 3-4 portions, depending on the thickness.
- Now, comb each portion one by one, while stretching it to the opposite side.
- Stretch the portion of your hair on your right to your left and the portion on your left to your right.
- Secure each portion tightly using bobby pins.
- Cover your head with a scarf
- Let your hair dry overnight.
- In the morning when you take off the scarf make sure that your hair is completely dry.
- Take off the bobby pins to reveal straight hair.
- Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb.
- You will see that your hair looks straight and has volume.
13. Use Hair Bands Over Night
Divide your hair into two from the centre and make two ponytails after washing, conditioning and drying your hair lightly with a towel. Make sure your hair is damp.
- Fasten your hair only with a soft elastic band to avoid breakage of hair.
- Keep adding additional elastic bands every inch to your hair.
- Make sure that the elastic bands are not too tight as they can leave marks which will make hair look wavy.
- Leave this setup overnight.
- In the morning remove the bands to find straight hair.
14. Twist Your Hair Into A Bun
This method works best if you already have wavy hair.
- Wash and condition your hair, make sure your hair is damp when you are doing this method.
- Tie your hair into a ponytail; make sure that you secure the ponytail with an elastic band.
- After you tie a pony tail, twist your hair like a rope and make a bun.
- Let this air dry.
- Once you are sure that your hair is completely dry, let your hair loose to find silky wavy hair.
Apply a leave-in conditioner to avoid frizz.
All these methods given above are heat free and will not damage your hair, but they also won’t give results as good as a hair straightener or blow dryer would. But to get the best results out of these methods a few steps given below must be followed:
- Always use a mild shampoo, as shampoos containing sulphur lauryl sulphate can make your hair frizzy.
- Always cover your hair with a shower cap after applying a mask as damp towels and shower caps can help retain hat, and the heat will make hair stay wavy or straight.
- Apply a good amount of conditioner after shampooing your hair, if possible apply a leave in conditioner to avoid frizz.
- While washing your hair, always use cold water, this helps to close your cuticles and retain moisture making hair look straight.
- Let the hair dry naturally.
- After your hair is dry, water shouldn’t be applied again on your hair, as it can make hair go back to the normal wavy/curly state.