A Monroe piercing is a just another type of body piercing. It was named after famous icon Marilyn Monroe, to imitate her face mark. It is a facial piercing that is done on the right side of the upper lip.
Monroe piercing is famous among women. Monroe piercing is just opposite to Madonna piercing, as Madonna piercing is done on the left side of the upper lip.
If the piercing is done on both left and right side then it is called as ‘Antibites’ or ‘Angelbites’.
Let’s read about famous Monroe lip piercing in detail.
How Is Monroe Piercing Done?
For anybody piercing, you need to visit a professional body piercing artist with a hygienic environment.
i. A pen mark is made to know the exact position where piercing has to be done.
ii. Before the piercing process, you must rinse your mouth with mouthwash.
iii. The piercing artist will clamp your upper lip and will pass a hollow needle through the lip.
iv. A gauge labret or a barbell will be inserted. Thus completing the piercing process.
What Is The Jewelry Used In Monroe Piercing?
Mostly, gauge labret, labret studs, small rings, and barbell. Usually, the piercing is done with a small gauge labret 16 or 18 labret bars.
Wearing a longer barbell with Monroe piercing gives you similar look as a crayfish.
Sometimes, you can fake Monroe piercing by wearing magnetic studs instead of going through an actual piercing process.
What Is The Cost Of Monroe Piercing?
The general pricing for Monroe piercing in the UK is ranged between 10-30 Euros.
In Canada, the price range is between $30-$35 CAD for Monroe piercing. And for angle bites, it is $50 CAD.
In the United States, the cost for Monroe piercing is between $25-$80.
Prices lower than this may be asked from a non-professional piercing artist. So it is advised to get pierced by a professional artist without giving much thinking to the cost.
Does Monroe Lip Piercing Hurt?
Yes, Monroe lip piercing does hurt as the area of piercing has an abundant supply of nerves. Although pain can vary from person to person. It can be more painful for those people with thicker lips.
However, Monroe lip piercing is done very fast, so pain is likely to feel a sting or pinch. Bleeding may occur during the piercing process.
The piercing will cause a swollen and sore lip for many days which is just fine. The swelling takes a time to go down and is likely to snug the jewelry tightly causing it to sink into the piercing.
Tips To Reduce Piercing
There are few things you can do to reduce the swelling –
a. Place ice cubes on the pierced area for more that 15 minutes, and repeat this process many times throughout the day.
b. Eat crushed ice or Popsicle to reduce swelling from inside of the mouth.
c. Try Sea salt soaks, as they are known to reduce the swelling caused by Monroe piercing.
d. Take anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling.
e. Chew food slowly and speak less.
f. To avoid blood pooling, sleep with your head elevated about your heart.
g. Avoid oral sex and kissing for few days.
h. Keep the piercing holes clean to avoid any kind of infection.
How To Clean New Monroe Piercing?
To avoid infections, cleaning is the most important thing. It also helps in fast healing of the piercing.
Few things to maintain hygiene and proper cleaning of the piercing:
1. After every meal, rinse your mouth with mouthwash.
2. It is advised not to smoke, but if you do smoke, then rinse your mouth afterward using mouthwash.
3. You can also wash your mouth by sea salt solution at least twice daily.
4. Never clean your mouth with alcohol or peroxide.
5. Use a toothbrush with soft bristle and brush the pierced area gently to prevent plague formation.
6. Clean the outer part of the piercing by using mild antibacterial soap.
7. Avoid using scented and harsh soaps.
8. Always clean your hand before touching the pierced area.
9. Do not use public swimming pools or lakes.
How To Remove Monroe Piercing?
Though Monroe piercing has grown popularity, still it is said to be inappropriate to wear it in schools or workplace. Due to these reasons people often take the decision to remove it. Here are the steps for removing a Monroe lip piercing on your own.
i. Use a mouthwash to rinse off your mouth.
ii. Use antibacterial soap or hand wash to clean your hands.
iii. Use a cotton swab for removing the crust around the outer part of the piercing.
iv. Wear latex gloves as they give you a firm grip.
v. Pull your upper lip away from the gum using your right hand and hold the inside part of the jewelry with your left index finger and thumb.
vi. While you are holding inside part of the jewelry use the other free hand to hold the outer part of the jewelry (ball).
vii. Carefully unscrew or twist the ball until it is free from the stem.
viii. Once you are done with removing the ball, gently pull inward to remove the stem from inside.
If you are afraid to remove your Monroe jewelry, seek help from your piercer. Mostly, they will not charge you for removing the jewelry.
If you remove the jewelry before the piercing is healed then the pierced hole will close up and it will be difficult for you to reinsert the jewelry. If the piercing is affected then it is advised not to remove the jewelry by your own.
Monroe Lip Piercing Scar
Monroe piercing may or may not scar. The size of the scar depends on the gauge size used during piercing. The scar varies in thickness from the surrounding skin. Always choose small jewelry for scars to visible less.
Tips For Fading Scars Caused By Monroe Piercing
- Use tree tea oil on the scar.
- Apply Shea or cocoa butter on the scar area.
- Massage the area with Vitamin A or Vitamin C or Vitamin E oil.
- To remove the scar darkness, rub the area with sliced lemon, tomatoes, or apple cider vinegar.
These tips will help to reduce the visibility of scar with time. You can also consult a dermatologist on scar revision or use spot treatment creams to fade off scars.
Side Effects Of Monroe Lip Piercing
This famous and fashionable piercing comes with pros and cons. Generally, Monroe piercing heals quickly. The immediate side effects can be seen as bleeding, swelling, and infections.
The possible side effects of Monroe piercing are –
- Skin irritations
- Erosion in Gums
- Chipping in tooth
- Bacterial Infections
To reduce these side effects, one needs to take good aftercare of the piercing. It is advised to maintain a good hygiene. If the side effects are worsening then you must consult a dermatologist.
Can Monroe Lip Piercing Get Infected?
Monroe lip Piercing is prone to infections if the piercing is not taken good care of. You may not see the infection symptoms just after getting pierced, but the infection can cause many complications.
Causes Of Monroe Lip Piercing Infection
a. With numerous of bacteria inside the mouth, it is easy for the piercing area to get colonized and infected.
b. Touching the pierced area with dirty hands can lead to infection.
c. Drinking of beverages which contain yeast.
d. Not following the cleaning instructions.
e. Often pulling of rings or stud.
Symptoms Of Monroe Lip Piercing Infection
i. Excruciating pain while chewing food.
ii. Redness and itchiness in the pierced area.
iii. Excessive swelling around the pierced area.
iv. Swelling of lymph nodes around the neck.
v. Yellow or green discharge with fouls smell.
vi. Nausea and fever.
vii. Pain in gums and tooth.
When you witness such symptoms, don’t remove the jewelry. Removing of the jewelry will cause the piercing to close with pus in it. Do not squeeze the pus from the infected area.
Do not neglect the symptoms and consult a doctor as the infection can worsen the situation and can lead to complications.
Monroe Lip Piercing Healing
The estimated time for Monroe lip piercing to heal is usually 8 to 12 weeks. There are three stages of Monroe piercing healing. Proper care should be taken to boost up the healing process.
First few weeks after piercing redness, soreness, bleeding and swelling are seen. Infections are likely to affect during this stage. It is advised to clean the pierced area with sea salt.
This is the stage where the actual healing begins. It can take up to few months. The time to heal depends on your body capabilities and health towards healing. In this stage, there will be mild soreness, itchiness, and irritation in the pierced area.
Inside area takes more time to heal than the outer part of the piercing. Excessive movement of the lips or any trauma in this stage can take you back to the previous stage of the healing process.
Since the wound is healing a white crust is likely to form around the jewelry. Regular sea salts can soften this crust and then can be easily removed. It is recommended not to scratch the crust by your fingers.
If there is skin growing inside of the pierced area. Then that is an indication that the bar used during piercing is not long enough and should be changed.
This is the final stage of the healing process in Monroe piercing. The skin cells inside the piercing are tough, smoothened and is sealed. This makes the jewelry to move in and out very smoothly.
After this stage is complete, the closure will take some time even after the jewelry is removed.
Tips For Healing Monroe Piercing
- Maintain a proper balanced diet and eat healthily.
- Frequently change your bedding.
- Do not remove the jewelry during the healing process.
- Chew your food very slowly.
- Avoid eating hot and spicy foods for first few weeks.
- Do not smoke or drink during the healing process.
- Do not apply makeup directly on the piercing.
- Avoid oral sex and kissing during this process.
- Take supplements of multivitamins with zinc and vitamin C.
- Do not play with the jewelry and avoid frequent touching of the jewelry.
Natural Remedies To Heal An Infected Monroe Lip Piercing
The moment you experience an infection in your Monroe lip piercing, start trying few home remedies to avoid further complications.
Few natural treatments to heal an infected Monroe piercing –
1. Wash the area with a prescribed antiseptic solution.
2. Clean the infected Monroe piercing by using salt water or saline solution as a mouthwash.
3. Add 1/4th teaspoon of water in a cup of warm water and clean the affected area with this solution. Repeat it many times a day.
4. Take a cotton cloth and soak it in either warm or cold water. Use this compress against the infected area to suppress the swelling.
5. Apply antibacterial creams or ointment to the affected area.
6. Take oral antibiotics prescribed to you.
7. You can also apply tree tea oil. Soak an ear bud to the tree tea oil and apply it to the pierced area.
8. Stay away from the trauma by avoiding to move jewelry
However, it the infection doesn’t seem to improve, it is advised to consult a doctor immediately.
Monroe Piercing Aftercare
Monroe piercing is very sensitive and easily prone to infections. A constant care is needed to be taken. There are some tips on what to do and what not to do after getting a Monroe piercing.
1. Have a balanced diet and eat nutritiously.
2. Get enough sleep during the healing process.
3. Stay hydrated and try to maintain a good hygiene.
4. Use sea salt solution for cleaning purpose.
5. Avoid intake of nicotine, alcohol, drugs and caffeine.
6. Do not take the emotional stress.
7. Rinse inside of the piercing by any alcohol-free mouthwash.
8. Rinse the outside of the piercing with lip piercing care product.
9. Protect your piercing from any of trauma.
10. Do not play with the pierced jewelry.
11. Do not brush too hard.
12. Chew your food properly.
13. Avoid eating hot and spicy food while the piercing is healing.
14. Do not smoke as it slows down the healing process.
15. Avoid engaging yourself in kissing in oral sex.
16. Use tea tree oil if you have dry skin.
17. Do not twist or turn the jewelry.
18. Do not use public swimming pools or baths.
19. Do not scratch the crust forming around the piercing.
20. Do not use petroleum based products.
21. Always wash your hand before touching the pierced area.
22. Always rinse your mouth after having the meal.
23. Rub ice to reduce the swelling.
24. Maintain a good hygiene and avoid any kind of infection.
Precaution Before Having Monroe Piercing
Body piercing is a very sensitive thing and precaution should be taken before getting pierced. Selection of a good piercing shop is the most important thing.
Take as much knowledge about the piercing shop and the piercing process. Also, be aware of the type of piercing you are getting done.
Few things to keep in mind before getting pierced
- The piercing shop you visit is cleaned or not.
- The piercing artist is wearing fresh disposable gloves or not.
- Do not get a piercing by a ‘piercing gun’, because they are not sterilized.
- The piercing artist is using sterilized instruments or not.
- The needle used for piercing is new or not.
- The needle used is disposed of after the piercing process or not.
Monroe piercing is known to be very popular and beautiful piercing. It is also known for being very sensitive one. So, take proper care before and after getting pierced.
Stay beautiful and Stay healthy!