The spitting of blood from the respiratory tracts and lungs is denoted as hemoptysis in medical terms. The blood comes out along with the mucus when you a cough. This might be a sign to denote that you are affected with any disease. This may even fatal in severe conditions.
In this post, I will explain you the causes, symptoms and the prevention measures to be carried out.
It can be referred as spitting blood or Hemoptysis or bloody sputum.
- What Is Hemoptysis
- How To Diagnose Hematopysis
- Causes Of Spitting Of Blood From Respiratory Tract & Lungs(Hemoptysis)
- Symptoms Of Hematopysis
- Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Spitting Of Blood From Respiratory Tract & Lungs(Hemoptysis )
- How To Preventive Hemoptysis
What Is Hemoptysis
The breakage in the red blood corpuscles (RBC) or the dissolution of RBC with lower coagulation leads to Hemoptysis. While coughing blood-stained mucus comes from the respiratory tracts and lungs. It affects all aged persons from small children to old elderly persons.
Spitting of blood from respiratort tract is different from bleeding. While bleeding, there will be a continuous flow of only blood from the affected parts. But, in spitting only stains of blood comes out.
How To Diagnose Hematopysis
The Blood can come from various parts such as respiratory tracts and lungs. You can identify this by the variation in the color of the blood stains.
When blood comes from the respiratory tracts, then the color of the bloodstains will be bright red colored. When it comes from the lungs, the blood stains will be dark colored or coffee colored.
Sometimes, the blood stains also remain rust colored. Sometimes blood comes from sinus or nose areas. But, don’t misunderstand that this is also a due to Hemoptysis. This might be due to any infections in the sinus areas.
When the blood loss in 24 hours becomes more than 300mL, then it is considered to be a severe condition.
Causes Of Spitting Of Blood From Respiratory Tract & Lungs(Hemoptysis)
There are many causes for Hemoptysis. Some of the important reasons are as follows.
Starting from small children, Hemoptysis is caused due to the presence of any foreign agent in the airway. It can also be due to the anti-coagulation caused because of some drugs like warfarin during any treatment.
The Most Common Causes Spitting Of Blood From Respiratory Tract
- Excessive smoking
- Presence of blood clot in the lung
- Intake of foreign materials while breathing commonly referred as pulmonary aspiration
- Swelling of blood vessels in the lungs commonly referred as vasculitis
- Any injuries in the arteries or other parts inside the lungs
- A violent cough may result in pain in throat resulting in bloody sputum
- Cystic fibrosis
- Pulmonary edema
- Usage of anti-coagulant in the body
- Mitral stenosis
- Lung cancer
- Cystic fibrosis
The rare causes for Hemoptysis are
- Hereditary Hemorrhagic telangiectasia(HHT) also called as Rendu-Osler-Weber syndrome.
- Goodpasture’s syndrome
Symptoms Of Hematopysis
The symptoms for Hemoptysis are
i. Bloody sputum while coughing
ii. Fever and headache
iii. Chest pain
iv. Purulent sputum
vii. Blood stains during excretion
viii. Vomiting along with blood stains
ix. Breathing problems
TESTS TO BE TAKEN:
There are certain tests you need to take before confirming that you are affected by Hemoptysis. Those are
a. It should be noted that you are a smoker or a non-smoker.
b. If you are a smoker, the number of cigarettes you smoke every day should be noted.
c. If you are working in a place where you get more exposed to silica dust should also be noted. Because this can also be a major reason for Hemoptysis.
d. You have to check whether your ancestors had this problem before.
e. The amount and the duration should regularly be noticed
f. In the blood which comes along sputum, the following things are to be noted
Color – red / dark-red / coffee colored red
Characteristics – streaked blood / fresh blood / frothy pink / gelatinous blood.
- Chest X-ray
- CT scan
- Bronchial angiography
- Blood test on White Blood Cells(WBC)
- Bacteria examination and sputum culture in the blood
- Bronchial Fiber Endoscopy
Diagnosis For Hematopysis:
When you have all the symptoms as mentioned above, you have to contact a doctor. Keep track on everything you do daily like smoking and how many times you spit blood. There are some common questions that a doctor asks you when you refer them.
Please be sure that you have answered all the below questions before you refer a doctor for this
- How many times do you cough a day?
- Do you cough and spit along with blood?
- Does the sputum contain only strains of blood or blood?
- What is the color of the blood?
- Do you have pain in any of the respiratory parts?
- Is a cough usual and severe or only at sometimes?
- What are the other symptoms you have till now?
You have to answer all the above questions. So that, the doctor will provide the treatment more effectively.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Spitting Of Blood From Respiratory Tract & Lungs(Hemoptysis )
There are many home remedies for Hemoptysis. Preventing yourself from a continuous cough can be an excellent remedy for this. Some of the remedies to prevent you from coughing and mucus secretion are as follows.
1. Honey Acts As A Cough Syrup
- It is scientifically proved that honey can act as effective syrup for a cough. You can consume it directly in the natural form.
- It can also be taken by mixing it along with coconut oil and lemon juice. It provides a more significant result.
- You can take this every day before going to bed and after waking up in the morning.
- It provides a more significant result than any other medicines.
- Note that the honey you drink is in its purest form. Or else it might lead to increase in a cough.
2. Thyme Tea
- This is one of the most famous remedies for a cough in Germany.
- Thyme is a short growing plant belonging to the mint family.
- You can take the small leaves from them and prepare a tea.
- The small leaves contain a cough calming compounds which gives you relief from coughing when you consume it.
- You can take two teaspoons of the leaves and put it in hot boiling water for about ten minutes.
- You can add lemon and honey to the boiled water for getting a flavor to consume it.
- The plant also yields medicinal oil.
3. A Hot Shower
- When you read this, you might be not able to believe this.
But, it is the truth.
- A hot shower can make you free from a cough.
- Close your windows of the bathroom and then open the shower.
- The cough’s worst enemy is steam. Hence, it becomes your best friend.
- Steam smoothen the airways and loosens the sinus congestion in your lungs and throat.
Note: It is better to avoid this remedy when you are affected by asthma because it might lead to increase in asthma problem.
4. Black Pepper & Honey Tea
- Pepper stimulates circulation and flow of mucus in the body.Thus it can act as a proper remedy for a cough
- Honey as said before it is a natural remedy for a cough.So, these two can cure a cough more effectively.
- Take two teaspoons full of grounded pepper. Add it along with two teaspoons of honey in a mug.
- Fill the mug with water and boil it for about 15 minutes.
- Then take the water separately and leave the wastes in the mug.
- Drink it slowly sip by sip.
5.Intake Of Liquids
- The intake of more liquid items can also cure a cough.
- Drinking a lot of water can also be a remedy for a cough.
- You can also prepare tea as mentioned above and have it.
- Liquids can make you free from mucus getting secreted. When you consume a lot of water, the mucus gets removed from the lungs during excretion.
Licorice has many medicinal values.
- It is the root of Glycyrrhiza glabra from which a sweet flavor can be obtained.
- The licorice root is used in treating cough.
- Take root and boil it in water for few hours and have it.
- This can clear your throat and lungs from mucus and make you relief from coughs.
- The ginger has many medicinal values in it.
It has lots of secret powers.It has antihistamine and decongestant capabilities in it.
- You can prepare a hot ginger tea and have it daily.
- Take few slices of ginger and put it in hot boiling water.
- You can add honey and lemon to it for flavor.
- Ginger could work against a cough more efficiently and make your throat clear.
How To Preventive Hemoptysis
To prevent hemolysis, there are various precautionary measures. If you are a smoker, it is a must for you to stop smoking.
Smoking will affect the lungs which may result in Hemoptysis. Smoking can also lead to cancer which may even lead to death.
If you are working in an area where there are many chances for silica and other dust, it is better to wear masks covering the nose and mouth. It can prevent you from inhaling the dust.
Do not leave it without checking when you have any of the symptoms mentioned above. It is better if you notice and refer a doctor at the earliest stage. The doctor will also not face many complications in curing it.
Do not leave it until it becomes severe. Refer to a specialized doctor and follow all the steps according to their advice.
Go to medical checkups properly and maintain the medical history of your body correctly.