Vaginal steaming alos knoen as Yoni Steaming is an ancient treatment technique used for treating menstrual, reproductive issues and other discomforts in women. The technique is gaining much popularity nowadays.
It’s simple and involves just sitting over a pot of herbal steam. There are many controversies related to it. Some people recommend it for the overall health of women. However, there are many do’s, don’t’s, and facts that you should before doing it.
Table of Contents
What Is Vaginal Steaming/Yoni Steaming?
Vaginal steaming is an old remedy for cleansing the vagina and uterus to regulate menstruation cycle, pain, and bloating in women. It is also known as V-steaming or yoni steaming.
For doing, this, you have to sit over a steaming water. The water contains herbs like rosemary, basil, wormwood, mugwort, etc. Mostly, it is practiced in Africa.
Vagina Steam will heat your womb and vagina. The herbs used in it will add an extra layer of healing benefits. The herbs are chosen depending on your reproductive health and the condition being treated as different herbs have a different action.
Most of the time, the water contains a blend of multiple herbs to make it powerful. The mixture helps to heal, freshen up, clean, and make the vaginal and uterus tissues soft and supple.
The steam opens the vaginal and uterus pores and carries the therapeutic benefits of the herbs. The absorbed steam enter the bloodstream and gives a direct healing effect on the reproductive system.
The main motto of V-steaming is to cleanse the membranes and tissues of your vagina and the uterus. Cleansing will further improve your fertility process and will regulate your menstrual cycle.
Nowadays, V-steaming is also done in spas as an ancient Korean treatment for curing reproductive ailments. A few of the studies debate about the benefits of vaginal steaming. However, there is no scientific evidence supporting its benefits.
Health Benefits Of Vaginal Steaming (Yoni Steaming)
Vaginal Steaming is done for a variety of reasons. The most important benefits of vaginal steaming are explained below:
- To reduce discomfort, bloating and stomach cramps associated with monthly periods.
- For treating the decreased menstrual flow.
- To reduce the dark purple, brown blood, or hot flushes occurring at the onset or the end of periods.
- To regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles.
- Increasing fertility.
- For reducing premenopausal symptoms like abdominal pain, mood swings, etc.
- Recovery of the reproductive system after birth.
- Treating conditions like uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine prolapse, uterine weakness, endometriosis, scaring of reproductive tissues, vaginal tear, episiotomy, etc.
- Curing chronic vaginal or uterine yeast infections.
Nevertheless, there are some conditions when you can’t do vaginal steaming as it might worsen your condition. They are as follows:
- During periods
- During excessively heavy bleeding
- Extreme vaginal infection
- Open wounds
- Blisters in and around the vagina
- Pregnancy or when you are trying to conceive
- If you have a genital piercing
How To Do Vaginal Steaming At Home?
You can do yoni steaming in the comfort of your home too. You can do it twice a year for good vaginal and uterine health. However, for treating fertility issues, you have to do every two weeks.
It’s a very simple and easy process requiring an hour or so. Although, you just need to do a bit of preparation. Down below the entire process of vaginal steaming is explained.
Things You Need
- A slatted chair or a toilet chair to let the steam go to your vagina. You should choose a chair made from wood, or bamboo.
- One wool or cotton blanket.
- Two large pots. One for boiling water and the other for pouring the hot water and herbs. You can use an old pot but make sure it does not have any cracks otherwise the water might spill from it.
- The required herbs. Mostly dried herbs are used.
- Boil 1 gallon of water with 1 cup of required herb mixture. Boil the ingredients for a good 10 minutes.
- Cover the pot and let the herb steep in for around 5 minutes.
- Transfer the water to another pot and place the pot under the chair. Check how hot the steam is using your finger. Be careful, your genitals are very sensitive to heat so wait till the steam is comfortable to you.
- Place the pot under the chair.
- Wear a long dress or skirt with no underwear. If you want, keep a book or on some music while doing the process as it takes time.
- Sit on the chair and cover your entire lower body with the blanket. Your blanket should cover the legs of the chair from all side so that no steams should pass out.
- Steam for good 20-30 minutes.
- Next, keep yourself warm and rest for few hours.
Herbs For Vaginal Steaming/Yoni Steaming
Down below is a list of traditional herbs along with their healing properties that you can use for vaginal steaming.
This will increase the blood circulation in your reproductive organs. More off, it will also clear out any waste fluid. Overall, it acts as a natural cleanser, purifier, and antiseptic agent.
This one is known for its relaxing and calming properties. The herb will relax your entire body and mind. It will act as an antiseptic for the vaginal and uterine tissues. More off, it is also antispasmodic to keep your uterus healthy.
It’s a wonderful herb to treat menstrual issues like heavy or less flow, irregular menstrual cycle, and menstrual pain. Oregano is an antiseptic herb with strengthening properties. Not only this, it will also prevent bacterial infection in the uterus and vagina.
Basil is again used for menstrual purposes. It will receive menstrual pain and aids in a regular menstrual cycle.
This herb is known for its cleansing properties. It cleans up the uterine and vaginal tissues form inside. It also has the power to heal wounds and the vaginal tear. However, don’t do vaginal steaming in case of open wounds as it might burn your skin causing pain and swelling.
6.Other Combinational Herbs
Burdock leaf, Motherwort, Squaw wine, mugwort, wormwood, St. John’s Wort, Yarrow, chamomile, clover, calendula, hawthorn, dandelion, yellow dock, and damiana.
For vaginal steaming, you can find a different seat or chairs and many herbs too. A few of the quality products that I found were good are listed below. You can check them.
Is Vaginal Steaming Safe?
Till now no scientific research has claimed whether vaginal steaming is safe or not. Vaginal skin is very delicate, sensitive, and easily damageable.
Using a steam to clean it might burn the vagina or cause scalding. On the other side, many ladies have gained favorable result with this process.
There aren’t any medical guideline that you should follow when steaming your vagina. You have to consult an alternative herbal expert to know about the herbs and the process. More off, an herbal practitioner can only tell you about the frequency of vaginal steaming.
You can even search the internet for the natural remedies but few of the information on the internet is contradictory.
There is always a disclaimer regarding the treatment. However, the best practice when going for alternative medicines is to consult an alternative health practitioner to avoid any adverse effects.
Many natural therapies have done wonders and are proved to be helpful in variant ways. So, you can give a try to it but, only under a guidance.
More off, never try to substitute an alternative treatment to regular medical treatment as it might be risky. There are cases which are worsened with worsen results too.
You can carry out the process for general vaginal health or menstruation issues after consulting an alternative medicine specialist. Nevertheless, never go for vaginal steaming if you are pregnant as it may cause miscarriage.
So, overall I would suggest it as a technique to be followed only after gaining substantial knowledge.
Does Vaginal Steaming Really Work?
There’s no scientific clarification to prove the efficiency of vaginal steaming. A few doctors suggest its impossible for the steaming herbs to gain access to your uterus via a tightly closed uterus opening. So, as per doctors it can relax you but not improve your reproductive condition.
There is a little chance that the steam will regulate your hormones and improve your fertility rate. More off, the moist steam can increase the flow of the blood to your vaginal area. Nevertheless, the softening of the vagina can also happen by simply soaking your body in a bathtub.
The practice was more prevalent in ancient time when there was no medical science to treat reproductive issues. During those time, it has helped many ladies to conceive and get rid of their menstrual issues as well.
On the whole, it can be suggested vaginal steaming would help you nourish and cleanse your vagina but not solve a complicated reproductive problem.