Many of you may be familiar with pumpkin seed oil and may also be using it. But, in this article, you will know about pumpkin seed oil in detail. So, have a look at the same and get to know the health benefits as well as the use of the pumpkin seed oil as a cosmetic product.
Pumpkin seed oil is for both the health conscious and the beauty conscious people! Made from the unhusked seeds of the pumpkin, it is full of vitamins and minerals. It is good for health and also enhances your beauty. There are many health benefits of this oil. But, use this oil in the recommended dosage.
We will read more about it in the following article.
Table of Contents
Pumpkin Seed Oil Nutrition
2 tsp of pumpkin seed oil has 80 calories with 9g of fat. It is a rich source of many nutrients and minerals. Here is a list of some of the nutrients and minerals present in this wonder oil. The important minerals present are vitamin A and E, omega fatty acids 3 and 6. It also has essential amino acids including Tryptophan, antioxidants, fibers, and beta-carotene. Metals like phosphorus, potassium, manganese, calcium, and zinc are present.
It contains four fatty acids which are linoleic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid and stearic acid. These fatty acids have many vital functions. Linoleic acid helps in metabolism, hair and body growth as well as in proper functioning of the brain1. Oleic acid helps you in controlling the blood pressure. It also increases the levels of good cholesterol in the blood. The other two fatty acids help in proper metabolism and cellular functions. Phytosterols present in this oil are good for the health of men. It also helps in reducing the risk of heart diseases in you.
Health Benefits Of Pumpkin Seed Oil
The health benefits of Pumpkin Seed Oil are many. All these are important and useful for many of the biological functions of the body. Some of those are:
1. Prostate Health In Men
This oil has zinc which is beneficial for the prostate gland functioning in males. Studies have claimed that this oil helps in the prevention of prostate cancer. It also helps in reducing the size of the enlarged prostate. So, one can use pumpkin seed oil to treat the cancerous growth.
2. Anti-Inflammatory Role
This wonder oil is also found to reduce inflammation in the body. So, in case you are suffering from arthritis, this oil may prove to be beneficial for you. It helps in decreasing the risk of inflammatory disorders. It also reduces the pain associated with those diseases.
3. Good For Hypertension And Joint Pains
It is rich in natural phytoestrogens. These are helpful in increasing good cholesterol. This lowers the blood pressure, headaches and joint pain.
4. Beneficial For Menopause
The phytoestrogens present in this oil are beneficial for the symptoms near menopause or post-menopause.
5. Reduction Of Anxiety
It is also a source of tryptophan that helps in reducing the anxiety and stress level. It also helps you get a sound night sleep.
6. Hair Growth
This oil also helps in fighting hair loss2. The vitamins present in this oil will help in your hair growth. It also improves the quality of hair by making it more shiny and thick.
7. Heart Health
Pumpkin seed oil is rich in healthy fats, fiber, and antioxidants. This helps in maintaining your heart healthy and reduces the chances of heart attack.
8. Treatment For Irritable Bowel Syndrome
This oil is perfect for you if you or any of your family members have irritable bowel syndrome. As discussed earlier, this oil helps in reducing inflammation. Thereby aids in curing the gastrointestinal infections.
9. Skin Health And Anti-Aging Effect
It also helps in making your skin healthy and looks glossy. This oil is rich in Vitamin E and beta-carotene. These help in reducing the damage of skin cells and also slowed down the process of aging to a certain extent. It helps in fighting the free radicals and also maintaining the moisture in the skin. It is also found to have anti-aging effects.
10. Useful In Kidney Stones
Pumpkin seed oil is also helpful in improving the renal functions. This includes improving the kidney as well as the bladder functions. You may also use it for treating renal stones.
11. Treating Parasitic Infections
This wonder oil helps you in getting rid of intestinal infections. This oil helps in fighting the intestinal parasites. It also relieves you from the intestinal infections.
12. Urinary Tonic
Pumpkin seed oil helps in decreasing the pressure on the bladder. It also increases the urine output by releasing the excess water stored in the body. This oil is also helpful in reducing the frequency of bedwetting in kids.
13. Increases The Bone Strength
The vitamins present in this oil helps in increasing the strength of your bones. It makes the bones stronger and reduces the chances of fractures.
14. Liver Tonic
Use this oil to improve the liver health as it contains antioxidants and healthy fatty acids3. Using this oil in place of drugs is a wise decision. Studies have shown that this oil does not have any side effects unlike the drugs used.
15. Nourishment For The Brain
This oil is rich in essential fatty acids and nutrients are known to be beneficial for the brain.
16. Milk Production
This oil is also found to be useful in improving or increasing the mother’s milk production. So, this oil is also useful for the lactating mothers.
It might also help you in maintaining your eyes healthy. This is because this oil is rich in vitamins like Vitamin A which helps in maintaining the eyes healthy. The various nutrients present in this oil are essential for the eyes and improve the vision. It also protects the eyes from the damage caused by the UV and other rays.
18. Wound Healing
The nutrients present in this oil are vast which helps in many of the vital functions. It is also found to have a role in the healing of the wounds.
Uses of Pumpkin Seed Oil
You can use this oil is used in the treatment of many health conditions. So, you should note down all these:
- It is used in the treatment of arthritis. It helps in reducing the pain and also has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Oil aids in treating atherosclerosis and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Pumpkin seed oil is used for diabetic patients. As, it promotes the regeneration of the damaged pancreatic cells. It also improves the insulin resistance and glucose tolerance.
- It might also treat acne, eczema and other skin conditions. The oil removes blackheads and treats acne and other skin problems.
- This also helps in increasing the bone strength and may be beneficial in case you have a family history of breast cancer.
- Body moisturizer: You can also use it as a body moisturizer. The fatty acids present in this oil hydrate your skin and make it more shiny and smooth.
- For hair: This oil is also used to make your hair thicker. The vitamins and minerals help in hair growth. It improves the quality of the hair by preventing excess hair fall.
- Body washes: It is also used in the body wash. It is rich in antioxidants. It is suitable to use before facial to reduce the surface build up during facial.
- Oil works as a skin hydrating agent and a makeup booster.
You may also incorporate it into your food as in salads.
Dosage And The Need Of Pumpkin Seed Oil
It is now recommended to have at least 1000 mg a day in general to have the beneficial effects of this oil. This dose is available in the form of capsules in the market. Take the advised dose with the meal. If it’s once a day then you may take it in the morning or the evening meal. The therapeutic dose varies from the condition to condition. Eg. For the prostate health, the dose recommended is 2 capsules thrice a day for the first two months. It is then one capsule thrice a day.
Side Effects Of Pumpkin Seed Oil
There are some side effects of this oil. So, use it in limited quantity. The side effects are:
- It is found to cause gastrointestinal distress, skin inflammation and heart issues. But, very few cases have been reported so far.
- It is also found to cause skin irritations and allergies. If used in an excess amount, it can lead to decreased blood pressure.
- Some people reported incidences of constipation, nausea, and diarrhea.
- In excess, it can be a source of high calories for you.
- It is not recommended for newborns as it may be difficult to digest due to the high amount of proteins in it.
- It might also trigger migraine attacks. So in case you are a migraine patient, you must consult a doctor before including this oil in your diet.
This oil is beneficial in many senses if used in an optimal amount. It may have many side effects if consumed in an excess amount. So avoid excess consumption of this oil and enjoy the benefits of it in a limited amount. Intake of large quantity might also lead to dizziness and headache. Make sure to check with your doctor before including this in your meal. Avoid excess consumption. Now, you know all about the health benefits of the pumpkin seed oil so you can include this oil in your life the way it suits you. But, report to the doctor in case of any allergies or you notice any associated side effects.
You May Also Like Reading:
|↑1||Domenico Montesano, Francesca Blasi, Maria Stella Simonetti, Antonello Santini, and Lina Cossignani. 2018. Chemical and Nutritional Characterization of Seed Oil from Cucurbita maxima L. (var. Berrettina) Pumpkin|
|↑2||Young Hye Cho, Sang Yeoup Lee, Dong Wook Jeong, Eun Jung Choi, Yun Jin Kim, Jeong Gyu Lee, Yu Hyeon Yi, and Hyeong Soo Cha. 2014. Effect of Pumpkin Seed Oil on Hair Growth in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial|
|↑3||Martine C. Morrison, Petra Mulder, P. Mark Stavro, Manuel Suárez, Anna Arola-Arnal, Wim van Duyvenvoorde, Teake Kooistra, Peter Y. Wielinga, and Robert Kleemann. 2015. Replacement of Dietary Saturated Fat by PUFA-Rich Pumpkin Seed Oil Attenuates Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Atherosclerosis Development, with Additional Health Effects of Virgin over Refined Oil|