Nursing time is one of the very important moments of a woman’s life. It is the first task that a woman has to do after officially being a mother.
Some are naturally good at it and some are not. It is not because they are feeding incorrectly, but because their milk production is inadequate.
Table of Contents
Home Remedies To Increase Breast Milk Production
Below mentioned home remedies will help you boost your breast milk production. These are completely safe to do it.
1. Warm Compress
Low blood circulation can also cause your breasts to secrete less milk. If this is the case then all you will need is a warm compress to bring about a good circulation just before the feeding time and boost your milk production instantly.
- Massage your breasts softly for 2-3 minutes before the warm compress.
- Soak a towel in warm water and remove the excess water.
- Use the warm cloth to gently massage the area around the breasts and the nipples for 5-10 minutes until the towel gets cold.
- After the massage, you can feed your baby because of the boost in circulation leading to a boost in milk.
- This can be used as a relaxation method too especially if you feel your breasts are heavy.
Fenugreek seeds are a very natural way to increase the milk production. It contains a certain chemical known as phytoestrogen which is helpful in stimulating the milk-producing glands and hence increases milk production.
This is because fenugreek is a natural sweat producing agent and your breasts are a modified sweat gland.
- Take some fenugreek seeds and soak them in one bowl of water.
- Let it remain undisturbed all night.
- Boil the solution along with the seeds in the morning.
- Filter it and drink this fenugreek tea every morning, once a day for increasing your milk production.
- You can also take fenugreek supplements with the consultation of your doctor.
- This method should be avoided by diabetic and asthmatic women.
3. Fennel Seeds
Fennel is a natural galactagogue agent that means that it stimulates the milk glands to produce more milk. And it is not only beneficial for you but for your baby too, as fennel helps in good digestion and protects from colic pain in the babies.
- Add one tablespoon of fennel seeds to a bowl of hot water.
- You can preferably boil them both for a few minutes.
- Let it soak for about half an hour.
- Filter the above solution after appropriate soaking time.
- Drink this tea solution every day for 2 months. You can even take it twice a day.
- You can also mix cumin and rock candy in the solution or you can mix their powders along with fennel seed powder and have it with warm milk 2-3 times a day for 3 weeks at least.
- Use fennel seeds in your cooking. It will spice up your food too.
4. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds are very efficient to stimulate milk production. They also are good for digestion and stimulate bowel movement and provide relief against gastric problems.
They are a source of iron which provides strength to women, which is very much required by women after the pregnancy period.
- All you need to do is mix cumin powder along with sugar and consume it with milk every day before going to sleep at night.
- You can also make a tea of cumin by adding cumin powder and rock candy powder to warm water.
- Boil it, and then filter it.
- Add milk and honey to the cumin tea and drink it once daily for a few weeks till you see good milk production.
Cinnamon is an Ayurveda certified natural remedy for boosting the milk production. It is also known to improve the flavor of breast milk and make it taste better for the newborns, which is their only source of food. It also delays menstruation after birth and helps to delay any early conception chances.
- Mix cinnamon powder along with honey.
- Mix it in warm milk and drink before going to sleep at night.
- Repeat it for 2 months till you get good milk secretion.
Garlic is one the best naturally occurring galactagogue. It stimulates the milk glands profusely and also helps to secrete milk for a longer duration. Garlic also enhances the flavor of milk.
- Grind 2 or 4 garlic cloves and boil them in a bowl of water.
- Boil it the quantity of water is reduced to one-quarter of its quantity.
- You can add milk too, but then you have to boil it again.
- Let it cool down and add honey to the solution.
- Filter the above solution.
- Drink it every day early morning on an empty stomach for good results. You can take it every day during the nursing period.
- Don’t crush too many garlic cloves as it may cause indigestion and heartburn symptoms.
7. Holy Basil
This natural ingredient has also been certified by Ayurveda. It helps in milk production as well as good milk secretion in nursing mothers.
It also helps the mothers to stay calm during this period. It is also a good source of niacin, thiamine, and iron, basil keeps the mothers free from diseases and also helps to gain strength and boost blood production.
- In a vessel of water add 7-8 finely cut pieces of basil leaves.
- Let it boil for a few minutes.
- Reduce the heat and let the leaves soak properly in the water.
- Pour the contents of another vessel and filter it using a muslin cloth.
- Drink the filtrate two times daily till you are nourishing your baby. You can add honey for sweetness.
Drumstick is a very important green vegetable that is packed with various nutrients that helps to excite the lactating glands. This way circulation increases as well as milk production.
- Juice out the drumstick and drink half a glass of the juice every day till a month at least.
- You can also make a solution of drumstick leaves and salt and keep it to boil for some time.
- Pour down the water only and add clarified butter or ghee to the leaves.
- Eat these 2 times daily for about a month for good milk production.
Oatmeal is like a two in one combination for lactating mothers. It helps to increase milk production also keeping a check on their weight gain which is a natural phenomenon post pregnancy. It is also a good source of iron and also helps women to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Eat a bowl of oatmeal every day with fruits and milk in the morning as breakfast to see good results.
- You can also prepare spiced up oatmeal with little olive oil and spice along with vegetables for a healthy lunch or evening snack.
10. Carrot And Beetroot
Carrots and beetroot contain a certain chemical known as beta-carotene which is responsible for their color. It is also having said to boost milk production.
It also increases the growth and development of babies and is very rich in minerals and nutrients essential for both mother and babies well-being.
- Juice of 2 carrots and beetroots each. You can salt or honey, whichever taste you prefer.
- Drink it 2 times every day along with the 2 important meals of the day.
- You can also make salad or soup with them mixing other vegetables with it making it a very nutritious soup.
11. Green Leafy Vegetables
Green leafy vegetables like spinach, fenugreek, and cabbage are very essential for breast milk production. These vegetables are a good source of iron and folic acid which is essential for milk production.
They also contain calcium and vitamins which form an integral part of the breast milk. Vitamin A present in them helps to enhance lactation process.
- Include the vegetables in your diet. Eat them in one meal per day.
- You can also make a juice out of them and keep it in the fridge. Drink 4-5 times a day.
12. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are highly rich in calcium. Calcium enhances lactation and is important for baby’s health as well as the health of the mothers. It is a very important ingredient in lactating mom’s nutrition.
- Mix sesame seeds in your food.
- You can also fry them in little olive oil and eat it twice a day with milk.
- You can make sweet dishes with sesame seeds and make a nutritious treat for yourself.
13. Dill Seeds
Dill is a very good source of iron, magnesium, and calcium. These minerals improve the lactation abilities, improve digestion and help to release stress. Dill also happens to be a mild diuretic hence it should be consumed in less quantity.
- You can take dill by making dill tea.
- Take some dill leaves or dill seeds and boil them in water for a minute.
- Strain them, and take two times a day. You can also add honey for taste.
- You can also ground the dill seeds and add them to dishes and salads and pickles.
Pulses are very high in fiber, protein, and iron. They are very good for the health of both mother and the baby. Pulses are also known to increase the milk production effectively.
- Drink a bowl of pulses curry or dal everyday once or twice a day.
- You mix vegetables in the curry to make it a delicious nutritional meal.
Almonds and cashew nuts are very effective in milk production. They are also high in polyunsaturated fats, vitamins, and minerals which are good for the health of both the mother and the baby. They also provide energy to the lactating mothers.
- Grind the nuts and make a good shake with milk on a mixer and consume twice a day.
- You can also snack on them occasionally whenever you feel hungry. Almonds keep a check on weight increase too.
Follow all these remedies, you will be able to satisfy your babies hunger. Nourish them with your full support and for more problems, do not forget to consult your doctor.
Some Additional Tips To Increase Milk Production
- Stay hydrated.
- Maintain a well-balanced diet. Increase the calorie intake.
- Breastfeed your baby quite often which will help in more production.
- Breastfeed from both the breasts equally.
- Try to use a breast pump often to increase supply.
- Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol during the lactation periods.
- Give yourself a light massage every time you have a bath.
Causes Of Inadequate Milk Supply From Breasts
1.Insufficient Glandular Tissue
Some women have natural soft boobs which result in less milk-producing glands and hence produce less milk. Ducts and breasts both grow with more pregnancies so you might get normal milk production in your second or third time.
If you suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome or have hormonal problems like thyroid or have suffered from gestational diabetes it might be difficult for you to conceive.
But if you conceive these problems will find an alternative solution to irritating you, that is they will aid to decrease the normal milk production and hence make problems in breastfeeding.
If previously you have undergone any type of breast surgery, cosmetic or medicinal, then you will face problems with milk production. Tattoos or piercing on nipples can also lead to slow lactation and can be very harmful to your babies.
4.Using Birth Control
Women who are in their nursing period, take birth control pills along with it may suffer from lactation drop. This is because of a sudden change in the hormone pattern of your body.
5.Taking Certain Medications
Certain medications might cause a drop in your normal milk production abilities. Medicines like pseudoephedrine, methergine or bromocriptine can affect lactation easily. Herbs like sage or peppermint can also affect milk production.
Sometimes you might not be the problems, it might be your baby’s inability to suck correctly which doesn’t stimulate your nipple and doesn’t let you’re secrete enough milk.
Or if your baby has a poor appetite then the loss of milk occurs by the leaking of nipples which can also lead to decreased milk production when your baby actually needs it.
Tongue-tied babies or cleft-lipped babies have a sucking problem because there is too short to give the right amount of pressure to the nipples.
If you are a working lady and you feel that you can feed your baby your milk two times a day and rest can give supplements then it is hampering you extensively.
This is because the milk you produce is very light and your baby will need it after 2-3 hours at the max. But milk supplements are heavy and your baby won’t feel hungry for hours.
Hence, your milk will leak and the actual time you need it, you would not be having it. Hence, milk production decreases gradually.
In this case, regular breastfeeding will help your boobs understand the timing of your baby and milk won’t get wasted.
You May Also Like Reading: