Do your eyes feel itchy and have you seen some redness in your eyes recently?Then you are suffering from the disease conjunctivitis or commonly called as pink eye.
The reason it is called pink eye is because of the coloration of the eye during the disease.
Conjunctivitis or pink eye is a disease which refers to the infection and inflammation in the conjunctiva of the eye, hence the name.The conjunctiva is a thin and a transparent membrane in front of the eye.
This disease due to its contagious nature, the infection spreads very fast from one eye to another or from one person to another through direct contact.Special care should be taken when you suffer from this disease.
It is caused due to dusty or polluted environments or unhealthy and faulty living habits. It can also be caused due to some bacterial and viral infections or due to excessive strain on the eyes.
This disease is accompanied by red, itchy and watery eyes and it comes along with some yellowish discharge. Due to this discharge, your eyelids tend to stick to each other when you wake up.
But don’t worry!
Here, I have listed some useful and very effective home remedies, that you will get right from your kitchen. I have also included some advice for prevention and control of the disease.
Causes of Conjunctivitis (Pink Eyes)
Conjunctivitis can be caused due to many factors, like bacteria, virus or allergens.
1. Viral Conjunctivitis
When it is a viral infection, it is due to the same virus (adenovirus) which causes the common cold, sore throat and upper respiratory infections.
This virus also causes pink eye which in untreated state lasts for around 5-7 days.In severe conditions, it may last for around 3 weeks.
It usually affects only one eye and then infection spreads to the other eye. In this case, the discharge from the eyes is whitish in color. This characteristic separates this viral infection from other causes.
2. Bacterial Conjunctivitis
Sometimes even bacteria cause this disease. The bacteria enter the eye and infect it.
Such infection lasts for around 10 days in untreated state and goes off after its course completion. The drainage from the eye is greenish yellow in color.
This type of infection usually affects the children of very small age like new born and toddlers.
3. Allergic Conjunctivitis
Allergens can also cause this pink eye. Allergens include pollen grains or dust. This causes infection in both the eyes.
Some other causes for pink eye are the excess straining of the eyes and too much of working under dim lights. Improper diet and unhealthy and unhygienic way of living can also be a reason for the disease.
Symptoms Of The Conjunctivitis Disease
The intensity of the Conjunctivitis may range from mild to severe condition.
The symptoms are visible from the first day itself while the whole thing may last for around 3-4 days.
The symptoms that conjunctivitis carries are:
- Inflamed eyeballs and eye lining
- Pink coloration of your eyes
- Dry eyes with burning sensation
- Water oozing out of the eyes
- Sticking of the eyelashes after sleep due to the discharge from the eyes.
- Pain and itching in the eye
- Mild fever
- A headache
- Blurred vision
- Pus formation in the eye.
- Increased sensitivity to light
These symptoms tend to subside once the course of the disease is over.
The yellowish discharge that oozes out of the eyes causes sticking of the eyelids when you get up in the morning.
Take proper care of the symptoms that you experience which will help you decide the home remedies
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Pink Eyes Or Conjunctivitis
The ointments and over the counter pills you get reduces the pain momentarily. However, the dealing with the causes can be done only through natural ways.
Here is the list of some natural and herbal remedies that will help you to reduce the symptoms and cure the disease.
1. Cilantro leaves
Cilantro leaves can be very useful when you suffer from conjunctivitis. What you need to do is take some cilantro leaves and blend it with half a cup of water.
Filter the mixture and apply the pulp obtained on your closed eyelids.This will work wonders in curing your pink eye or what you say as conjunctivitis. If this sounds difficult even drinking that filtrate is also helpful.
Another cure that can be very helpful to you is using coriander seeds that is very much available in your kitchen.Steep 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds in 1 cup of boiling water for around 15 minutes.
Strain the entire thing and apply the water or filtrate obtained on your closed eyelids.Make sure you are not using it too hot or too cold. Use it lukewarm.
It’s a bit strange, but the goat’s milk is also very helpful in curing your eye conjunctivitis.Take some milk (goat’s) and dip a cotton ball in it. Now spread it all over your eyes.This will help to heal your conjunctivitis very quickly and effectively.
If you have Turmeric in your kitchen, that is it.Take some turmeric and mix it with a little amount of water, to make a solution. Take a small and neat piece of cloth, dip it in the solution and let it dry.Now mop the entire affected area of your eyes with this cloth. This will help in reducing the infection.
Install few drops of lime juice in your affected eyes or drink a glass of lemon juice early in the morning, preferably before breakfast.This will help to cure conjunctivitis and reduce the infection too.
- Take a raw cucumber and cut it into slices. Place one thin slice of cucumber over the eyelids.
- You know that cucumber is quite soothing. Placing cucumber will provide a soothing effect on the eyes.
You can also use raw potato slice in place of cucumber.
Take some honey, like a drop or two and put it in the inflamed and affected eyeThis will provide immediate relief from the pain and infection.
8.Spinach & Carrot
To keep your eyes healthy and avoid the disease, extract juices of spinach and carrot and mix them in equal quantities.Drink this juice daily. It will be very useful for your eyes.
- Take a small neat and tidy towel and dip it in cold water and put it gently on the affected eye.
- It provides a soothing effect and also relieves you of the pain and irritation associated with the disease.
The damaged eye tissues will quickly return to its normal state. Repeat this treatment every night nearly for a week.
Coconut oil is also very helpful in reducing the swelling and itching of the eyes.Put a few drops of coconut oil in your eyes and lie down for some time.After you get up, you will experience less watery and itchy eyes.
Eyebright is a herb which is very useful in times of conjunctivitis. This serves as another useful remedy for this disease.Prepare a decoction of this herb with water and drink the liquid three times a day.This works as a very effective remedy for pink eye or conjunctivitis.
12.Indian Goose Berries
Extract some Amla juice(Goose Berries) and mix it with honey.Drink this mixture 2 times a day and you will experience quick healing.This will also reduce the symptoms of this disease.
13.Turmeric, Neem, And Manjistha
- Mix an equal quantity of the three herbs Turmeric, Neem, and Manjistha. Mix them properly.
- Half a tsp of the above mixture should be taken 2 times a day with lukewarm water after the meals.
- This will also help to cure the infection and disease.
All the above remedies are very useful and beneficial for curing your pink eye or conjunctivitis.
Diet And lifestyle Advice During Conjunctivitis
- During the disease, there are many factors that you should keep in mind to prevent and avoid the spread of the disease. Faulty lifestyle and unhealthy environment are some causes of the disease.
- Slight guidance on the diet and your lifestyle and following some advice will help you cure the disease.
- Changes in the diet are imperative. In this conjunctivitis, you should include or increase the intake of food items which are rich in Vitamin A and B2 like green leafy veggies, carrots, mangoes, dairy products, papayas, tomato, pumpkin, almonds, bananas and citrus fruits.
- Excess starch and sugary products should be completely avoided like white bread, refined cereals, potatoes, puddings, pies, pastry, sugar, jams and confectionery.
- Eating meat and other protein and fatty foods, strong tea, and coffee, excess salt, and sauces should all be avoided.
- When you suffer from the disease, avoid rubbing your eyes. Rubbing will not reduce the irritation and pain but only increase your infection and worsen the condition.
- Use cotton dipped in warm water to clean your eyes in the morning. During the day wash your eyes gently with cold water.
- Do not wear contact lenses rather start wearing glasses during the disease.
- Avoid any exposure to allergic or any dusty environment. Any allergens when enters your eye will leave your eyes irritated can be a cause of the disease.
- Do not share your personal belongings with anyone. It will spread the disease to everyone near to you.
- The sticky eyelids can be removed or cleaned by rubbing the eyelids with a cotton ball dipped into the solution of salt and water (1/4 tsp of salt in 1 tbsp. of water).
- Wear dark glasses to prevent the infection from spreading to your near ones.
Conjunctivitis In Infants
In infants also, this disease is common due to the spread of the infection. For them, their mother’s milk is the appropriate solution.
One drop of the mother’s milk may heal this disease for them. Thus, a newborn has the answer to this condition very close to them.
When To See Doctor
The symptoms of conjunctivitis are usually mild and after the completion of the course or after treatment it gets better.
But sometimes the cases are very severe.In such cases, specific treatment by a recognized doctor is needed.
If you have conjunctivitis, you should consult a physician if you have the following symptoms:
1. Severe pain and itching in your eyes
2. Blurred vision, difficulty in seeing and increased sensitivity to light
3. Extreme redness of the eyes.
If the infection does not subside in 3 -4 days and there is no improvement or no relief from the existing symptoms, then it may affect the eyes internally.
This is then a high time, and you need to consult your physician as soon as possible.
Comment below if you have any other issue or question. We are always there to help you!