Mustard Plaster has many health benefits. This is a famous and a very old remedy for the treatment of cold, cough, flu, pneumonia and many other health problems. This treatment is completely a natural treatment which is used for centuries.
Mustard plaster is a mild mixture of flour and mustard seed powder mixed with water or egg which is spread on a moist cloth and this moist cloth is then applied on your abdomen, chest or back.
This mustard plaster must not come in contact with your skin as this mixture can burn your skin. It acts as a counter-irritant. It is also helpful in increasing the local supply of blood. Mustard plaster can also say to be a form of a poultice.
Table of Contents
How Does Mustard Plaster Work?
Mustard Plaster is helpful in stimulating the circulation of blood through the dilation of your capillaries. When Mustard Plaster is applied on the lungs then this helps in opening the lungs and is also helpful to encourage expectoration of mucus that gets trapped. It is also helpful in the prevention of infections in the lungs.
How To Prepare Mustard Plaster?
If your parents or your parents who usually prepare mustard plaster are not with you right now and you are wondering how to prepare this mustard plaster? Then you are at right place. Mustard plaster is very easy to be prepared.
Ingredients Needed For Preparing Mustard Plaster Are
- Flour – 4 tablespoons
- Dry Mustard – 2 tablespoons
- Lukewarm Water
Directions To Prepare Mustard Plaster
- Mix 4 tbsp. of flour with 2 tablespoons of dry mustard.
- Add water to the dry mixture to form a paste.
- The paste formed should be such that it is smooth and easily spreadable but should not be this much thin that it looks watery and runs.
- Now use a clean flour sack towel for this plaster.
- Spread the prepared paste over the top half of the sack towel and fold the other half over it.
- Now keep this folded towel over the chest.
- If an area on which you are using this plaster is large then you can spread the paste over the complete towel and use another towel for covering. Or you can also use two plasters also.
- Dare not to apply this mixture directly on your skin as this can seriously be very dangerous.
- Leave this mustard plaster on the chest for about 20 minutes but it does not mean that do not check its effects on your skin.
- Yes, you need to keep on checking the effects of this plaster on your skin.
- If your skin is getting very red then remove it earlier.
- Do not use this plaster for school-aged children without consulting doctor.
- Remove this poultice and wash your skin with a warm cloth.
- Then apply a layer of Vaseline over the complete area.
- Now repeat the same procedure for your back.
- Keep the plaster on your back for the same time but do check the reddishness caused by it on your skin.
- This plaster can be used every 5 to 6 hours for better and earlier results.
- You can also take a warm shower after the treatment, this will give you a feeling of comfort.
Uses Of Mustard Plaster
Mustard Plaster is useful for curing various health diseases like it’s useful for curing various aches and pains. It is also helpful in curing arthritis, sore muscles and rheumatism. Also, for getting rid of chest congestion, mustard plaster is used. It is very helpful in curing a cold, cough and flu.
Tips While Using Mustard Plaster
i) To protect your skin from blistering, you can apply Vaseline first on your skin before placing Mustard Plaster but it does not mean that you will not check the reddishness it is causing on your skin. Whether you are using a layer of Vaseline, you need to check the effect it is causing on your skin.
ii) Using egg in place of water for the preparation of mixture also leads to comparatively less blistering to your skin.
iii) Floor sack towels that are used for placing the paste are cotton tea towel, if you are not having these towels then you can use cotton undershirt or any other thin fabric.
iv) The ratio of flour and mustard can be adjusted according to the tolerance levels of a particular skin.
Precautions To Be Taken While Using Mustard Plaster
i) Mustard plaster must not be used on children having age less than 6.
ii) Do not use black mustard when mustard plaster is used for patients with ulcers or kidney diseases.
iii) Do not keep the mustard plaster on your skin for more than 20 minutes.
iv) Dare not to bring the plaster in contact with your skin.
Mustard plaster is a very natural and very technique for getting rid of various problems like cold, cough and various types of pains.
It is very easy to be prepared, and the ingredients that are needed for preparing this paste are easily available but with its good effects, it has also some side-effects as well if not used carefully. So, you should use it with proper care.