Sweat is one of the excretory systems of the body to eliminate out the excess of water, salts and toxins. Sweat is a method used by the body to regulate its temperature that is sweat cools down the body, whenever there is external or internal excessive heat.
Though it is a very important phenomenon that occurs in our body, sweat can be very irritating at times, especially in public.
People who tend to sweat a lot in between the skin folds or the covered areas of the body find it very embarrassing to face the sweaty situation in public, as the sweat over there soaks up in the clothes, and gives an annoying patch.
Sweating in the covered areas like underarms, palms of the hands, soles of the feet, inner thighs, etc. can also become a site for bacteria growth and can create a foul odor. Sweating itself is bad, and accompanied with bad odour is too much to handle right?
There are ways you can control this sweating. You should control it and not stop it because sweating in necessary so you should not try to stop it from happening.
One of the very best remedies for armpit sweating is baking soda.
Baking soda has very powerful sweat absorbing properties and keeps armpits dry for a long time. It also has mild anti-odor properties which make the sweat prone resistant to the growth of micro-organisms and cause the foul odor.
Baking soda can be used with a lot of other ingredients to be used as a natural remedy for armpit sweating. Let us see all of them in brief.
Baking Soda For Armpit Sweating
1. Baking Soda And Water
The most basic ways to use baking soda is to use it with water. Water and baking soda become acidic when mixed together hence provide resistance against microbial growth too.
- Take one big tablespoon of baking soda.
- Mix it with one cup of water.
- Mix it evenly and make a thick paste. Don’t make it too diluted.
- Pat the granular balls of the baking soda formed in the water to make the paste even for better absorption.
- Apply the paste on your underarms and let it rest for 25 minutes.
- Keep your arms up till it dries.
- Wash with warm water and apply a mild moisturiser and enjoy 5-6 hours sweat free underarms.
2. Baking Soda And Essential Oils
Baking soda can be mixed with water and essential oils to prevent against sweat as well as foul odor. Moreover, the essential oil will nourish your underarms and make it look good.
- Make an even paste of baking soda and water like I mentioned previously.
- Apply 4 drops of an essential oil of your choice, preferably lavender oil.
- Apply it on your arms and massage it for 2-3 minutes for better absorption of the oil.
- Keep it for 20 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
3. Baking Soda And Cornstarch
Baking soda and cornstarch are good absorbing agents. Both have the power to absorb moisture and keep the area dry for a long time. So mixing both of them together will give a powerful absorber which will help keep your armpits dry.
- Mix 2 big tablespoons of baking soda and cornstarch powder each.
- If the granules are big, then smash them with the help of a dry mortar and pestle so that they form a fine powder.
- Keep the mixture in an air-tight container free from moisture.
- Apply on your underarms like powder whenever possible.
- You can also mix little talcum powder for a nice fragrance. Talcum powder also has absorbing properties.
- The best thing about this remedy you can carry it along with you and all you will need is a little privacy to apply it to your armpits and you will have a dry armpit all through the day.
4. Baking Soda And Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has Vitamin C and acid present in it which nourishes the armpits as well as prevents the area against microbial growth. It also helps in whitening the underarms.
- Squeeze one and half a lemon juice.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with the lemon juice.
- Make an even paste and apply on your armpit.
- If you feel a burning sensation then you can dilute the juice with little water. You can also use lemon essential oil instead of lemon juice.
- Let the paste dry for 20-25 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water at first then cold water.
- Apply mild moisturiser.
5. Baking Soda And Apple Cedar Vinegar
Apple cedar vinegar is a magic home remedy and can be used for various health or hygienic problems. It can be also used to control armpit sweating. It keeps the area dry and also gets rid of any kind of foul odour.
- Mix baking soda and apple cedar vinegar in the ratio of 2:3.
- Make a fine paste and apply on the armpit region.
- As vinegar is pretty acidic do not leave it for more than 10 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water and apply a mild moisturiser suited for oily skin.
6. Baking Soda And Potato
Potato has a good effect on reducing sweat and odour from the skin covered areas as well as cornered areas of our body. Baking soda and potato make a good combo fight against sweat and foul odour.
- Cut a potato in half.
- Add baking powder on the cut side of the potato.
- Gently rub the potato slice along with the baking soda in your armpit for 10 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water or rub with a hot towel.
7. Baking Soda And Sugar Scrub
Make a homemade scrub of baking soda and sugar keep your underarms dry and odor-free.
- Make a mixture of sugar and baking soda by mixing both with water.
- Do not crush the sugar as particles rubbing against your armpit will help to exfoliate the skin.
- Scrub the mixture on the armpit skin for 5 minutes.
- Apply moisturiser after washing with lukewarm water.
- Do this every day before going to bed at night.
8. Baking Soda And Tomato Pulp
This makes a combo for prevention against odour and microbial growth.
- Squeeze out the content of a tomato into one bowl of baking soda.
- Make a paste out of it using the only pulp and not water.
- Apply it on the armpit and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm.
Other than Baking Soda, you can also follow the home remedies to get rid of excessive sweating.
Some Additional Tips
- Make sure that your underarms are always clean and waxed. Prefer waxing to shaving. The above remedies work best on waxed underarms.
- Wear loose clothes. Avoid white as much as possible.
- Wear cotton liner underneath your clothes to absorb sweat before soaking into your clothes.
- Avoid alcohol-laden deodorants. You can use the ones without alcohol.
- Always clean your underarms with a tissue paper before applying the above remedies.
- Exfoliate once in every 3 days.
You can also use Underarm Sweat pads to fight against the sweating. These pads work best and helps to absorb excessive sweating.
Summer or winter, or let it be any other season, be free of armpit sweat with just one basic ingredient that is baking soda. So flash those arms and do not be afraid of the sweat!