In this article, you’re going to discover everything that you should know about Ghee.I’ll tell you how to prepare , health benefits of using and debunking myths associated with it.
I’ll tell you how to prepare and health benefits of using it; debunking myths associated with it.
Whenever we think about health and supplements, we look for medicines and over the counter prescriptions.
We forget to peep into our house.Your kitchen is the most important area.It has all the remedies in the cupboards and shelves; you just need to know the right ingredients.
One such kitchen ingredient is the Ghee that is prepared by almost all housewives in India.Nowadays people refrains from it thinking that it is the reason for ill health, obesity, and many other health problems.
Nowadays, people refrain from it thinking that it is the reason for ill health, obesity, and many other health problems.
But it can do wonders for your mind and body if taken in moderate quantity.It is the best-known moisturizer, constipation reliever, immunity enhancer.
It is not at all difficult to make or prepare it at home.It is also known as clarified butter, which is made by boiling off the water and milk solids leaving behind the rich and golden butter fat.
This is available in all the supermarkets under different brands, but it is always better to make your own if you want to save some bucks. It is good even when you don’t wish to compromise on quality.
So here is an article which will help you know the preparation procedure and the benefits associated with this Ayurveda recipe .
How To Prepare Ghee At Home?
The preparation of real ghee or what you say as pure ghee starts with the raw cow milk.
Step 1: Take some milk and boil it first. Boiling is critical to get rid of any contaminants or bacteria in milk.
Step 2: After boiling, cool it down to room temperature. Now your milk is ready to be converted into curd.
Step 3: Add ½ tablespoon of curd per liter of milk. This is needed to convert whole milk into curd.
Step 4: After this addition, leave the entire thing for around 7-8 hrs. Till the milk converts into curd. Make sure that the curd obtained is not sour enough. This may happen if you leave it for a long time.
Step 5: Now churn the obtained curd. You can do this using a blender or a whisker which runs both ways. While churning, butter starts to separate leaving the liquid. The liquid left behind is called the buttermilk.
Step 6: Now carefully extract the butter that separates out from the buttermilk.
Step 7: After separating this lovely creamy butter. Take it in a pan and heat on medium flame. Keep an eye on this so that the butter doesn’t burn due to high temperature. If you see any burning then lower the flame immediately.
Step 8: When this butter is heated, it starts foaming and liquid start to separate out. On further heating, the water starts evaporating and leaving behind a lovely golden oily liquid.
Step 9: Then filter this oily liquid carefully separating solid residue left on the bottom. This oily golden liquid obtained is what you call as pure ghee.
How To Prepare Ghee At Home From Butter:
First, get hold of the following things-
- 1 lbs. Unsalted organic butter
- 1 clean, airtight glass container
- 1 clean white cotton handkerchief or cheesecloth
- 1 sieve
Put a pound of organic unsalted butter in a stainless steel pot over a medium heat and stay close. Keep ready a clean glass container and a sieve lined with the cheesecloth.
Let the butter boil over medium-low heat. Continue till the foam on the top of it disappears and brown solids start forming at the bottom of the pot. The ghee will be golden in color.
Remove this clarified butter from the heat immediately and pour it into the container through the cheese cloth. Allow it to cool and store it at room temperature or refrigerate.
Watch This Video To Learn How To Prepare Ghee:
It has lots of benefits plus it is tasty and very easy to prepare.
Pure Ghee Nutritional Facts:
It is relatively high in calories, containing 717 calories per 100 grams- serving.
A serving contains 81 grams of fat, minimal amounts of protein approx 1 gm.It has no carbohydrates, sugar or dietary fiber.
This is high in saturated fat, with 7.9 grams per serving. It is rich in vitamin A, D and E plus K2 and CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid).
It has 50% Vitamin A and 2% Calcium.
Is Ghee Healthier Than Butter?
Is it good for your health?
It is a formulation which has many health benefits.It has many healthy benefits starting from newborn to old age.
On the first place, it has a high smoke point (250 c to 400 c) compared to other oils. It can be used in cooking.If you have the desire to delight your taste buds do cook using it once in a while.
Secondly, it can be stored for a very long time. It also good for people who are allergic to lactose or casein as all the milk solids and impurities are no longer there.
Thirdly it is rich in vitamin A, D and E plus K2 and CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid).It is rich in nutrients. The medium chain fatty acids present in ghee are absorbed directly to the lever and burnt as energy. This energy can also be used to burn other fats and lose weight.
Fourthly it is rich in Butyric acid, which is surprisingly not present in other oils. It is a short chain fatty acid that provides energy and intestinal wall support.
A healthy body can produce butyric acid on its own, but for others, it is a savior. Adequate production of butyric acid results in a healthy immune system.
It reminds me how my mother forced me to have a spoonful of ghee during winters helping me avoid catching cold.
It is also a blessing for people having digestive problems. It aids the digestive process by secreting gastric acid.
It is used as a carrier for herbs because of its supreme penetrating qualities and thus ability to carry these substances deep into the tissues.
As butter doesn’t have these advantage, then we can say that it is better to have it rather than butter.
Ghee and Its Medicinal Benefits:
There are innumerable therapeutic benefits of clarified butter which are still unknown to people.so a list of profits is given below.
Ghee Home Remedy
During summers when you are very thirsty it is very helpful and useful in curing the thirst.
- Take 1 tsp of clarified butter and mix it with cow’s milk. Take this and this will cure your thirst.
- It relieves constipation. Take a glass of milk with 1 tsp of ghee in it. Drink this before bed at night. This will help in clearing your bowels in the morning. Thus, relieving you from constipation.
- Put 1-2 drops of it in your nostrils and this will stop the blood oozing from your nostrils(Epistaxis).
- When you are under the influence of bhang or alcohol. Taking a small amount of clarified butter will reduce the intoxicating effects.
- It is also very helpful when you suffer from common cold. Take equal quantities of ginger powder, ghee, and jiggly and mix them together. Take this in the morning before food. This will help to cure a cold.
- The same mixture of ginger powder, ghee, and jaggery when taken after food cures any indigestion and also increases the metabolism. You can also make small balls from this mixture and consume it after food.
- If you feel weak all the time then also this is very helpful. There are many ways in which clarified butter can be taken to cure weakness.
- Add 1 tsp. of it with a little amount of ginger powder to a glass of milk. Now warm the milk and drink it regularly.
- Make a habit of taking 4-5 dates along with it every day in the morning.
- Another benefit that when you burn lamps using it, it eliminates the viruses and bacteria in the house and makes your house disease free.
- It is also very helpful in hiccups. When you get hiccups, you tend to lose breathe but a teaspoon of warm ghee specially made from cows milk if taken cures it.
- If you face any kind of ear related problems then take some ghee and cook it on low flame. Pour 2-3 drops of this warm ghee in your ears regularly.
- This will help you to cure any ear problems. You can also use sesame seed oil in place of using it if you want.
- It is a very effective remedy for sleeplessness or insomnia. Take some Ghee and massage it on the feet.Do this before going to bed every day. This will help to promote a sound sleep.
- It helps in reducing any inflammation or swelling, redness, and itchiness on a skin and also helps to slow down your aging process. Massage little amount of warm ghee on the affected joints. This will reduce the pain and swelling.
- It gets easily absorbed by the skin. When it reaches the lower layers of skin, it provides adequate nourishment to the painful cartilage. Repeat this process nearly three times a day.
- Clarified butter serves as the best moisturizer for skin in winters. It can be applied externally on the whole body.
- A snake bite sounds dreadful but ghee can help you. Give around 120-220 gms of pure ghee to the victim. Give it to an extent that he vomits out the entire thing along with the poison.
- After 15 mins of this vomiting provide some warm water for another round of vomiting. This will help him to eliminate or vomit out the poison. Repeat the whole process if needed. (Medical supervision required don’t delay on showing to doctors in case of snake bite)
- If you are worried about your lean body and underweight situation then it is beneficial if you include it regularly in your diet.
- This will help you to gain weight proportionally. This also reduces the dryness of skin.
- To regain the strength and immunity after fever, ghee butter is favorable. It helps to bring back the power after your body is cured of illnesses. Take a small quantity of it and add it to diet.
- It is always advised to lactating women to add nourishment to the breast milk. Even newborns are recommended for small quantities of ghee nearly 2-3 drops. This will relieve the baby from any stomach related problems.
- When you suffer from oral ulcers and cannot bear its burning sensation then cure it using ghee. Apply a moderate quantity of ghee on the ulcer. This will help to reduce the burning sensation and also heal ulcer fast. There are some more remedies you can try to cure ulcers.
- Apply it on the cracked heels. This will moisturize the area and also heal the feet faster.
- It has also proved beneficial for eye.it is helpful in curing any eye disorders and also improving the vision. Put 2-3 drops of lukewarm clarified butter oil into both the eyes preferably at bedtime. This will avoid any burning sensation, and it also helps to strengthen the eyes.
- It also helps to avoid any split ends. Apply it on the split end area and leave it like a hair mask and leave it for some hours. Then shampoo it. This will help nourish and moisturize your hair too.
- Taking a mild quantity of it everyday relieves you of a headache and migraines.
- If you are facing any kind of mental disorders or stress then using it can solve the problem.
- Take some clarified butter and massage it gently on your forehead and scalp.Do this regularly. Shampoo if necessary.
- There are many people who face the problem of bedwetting. Take this and massage it on your abdomen in a clockwise manner for about 5-10 mins. Do this before going to bed. This will help to cure bedwetting problem.
- Many people experience night discharges. This can be solved very quickly. Take 3-4 corns of black pepper and then take 2 tsp of it. Taking this regularly will help you to cure night discharges.
- It serves as a useful measure to cure Sexual Weakness. All you have to do is take 1 or 2 tsp. of Ashwagandha Powder, 1 tsp. of Ghee, 1 cup of milk adds them together. You can also add sugar as per taste.
- Boil the entire mixture for around 5-10 mins. Then let it cool and drink it.Doing this regularly will solve the problem.
- Take some 5-10 Gms of onion and fry them in it. Take this fried onions at least 2 times a day to increase your sperm count.
- It is very useful in skin problems also. Take little this oil and massage the affected areas with it regularly. After 2-3 hrs. of massaging take a shower preferably use a neem or sandalwood soap.
- It is rich in carotenoids and vitamin A and Intake of clarified butter increases or boosts the antioxidants in your body thus promoting cell growth, increasing immunity, improved vision and also reduces the risk of cancers and heart diseases
Share this Image On Your Site
Treatments Using Ghee In Ayurveda:
Below are some tips for using ghee in our day to day activities.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder (Haldi), a tsp of cow’s ghee and a little sugar to a cup of hot milk and drink. It helps in getting rid of a sore throat, cold or a cough.
- Make children drink a little fresh buttermilk mixed with a pinch of Hing (Asafoetida) fried in a little of it to relieve them from worm infestation.
- Mix one tsp of roasted pepper powder in 4 tsp of clarified butter and add a pinch of salt and saute in a pan over a low fire. Fry it properly and mix with rice, then eat. It relieves indigestion and gastric problems.
- A little ghee mixed with honey and pepper powder, taken a few times is useful for a cough and cold.
- Drinking half a tsp of cow’s ghee in a cup of cumin decoration with will relieve pain in the lower abdomen, heartburn and gas trouble.
- If you take a tablespoon of it every night, after taking a few sips of hot water, helps regulate bowel movements and improves digestion. Over time, it helps cut down body fat.
- It can also decrease the inflammation when rubbed externally onto the skin.
- To improve the health of the teeth and gums; use it for gargle.
- This can be used in the eyes for tiredness or fatigue. It is excellent for scrapes and both chemical and heat or fire burns.
- If a few drops of it are placed in the nostrils, then nosebleed can be checked. Doing this twice in a day can relieve from a headache.
- One or two teaspoons first thing in the morning, immediately followed by hot water will promptly produce a bowel movement. This will also warm the body quickly.
- Two spoonfuls of it in warm (non-homogenized) milk before bedtime is soothing to the nerves and lubricates the intestines and facilitates a bowel movement in the morning.
- When a person has chronic gastritis or peptic ulcer, it is used to heal that ulcer inside the intestinal tract.
- This works wondrously on bedsores for the elderly or debilitated. It can be applied to bruises and broken bones. It is highly effective for all sorts of skin rashes and also burns of both fire and chemicals.
- It is used as message oil for old and young. It is considered as one of the best substances for self-massage. It strengthens, softens. Nourishes and protects the skin.
Ghee Beauty Benefits:
Apart from health benefits, ghee is also known to provide a lot of beauty benefits.
- Ghee For Skin Glow: Apply it under both the eyes before sleeping daily. This should be only homemade ( made from cow milk or Buffalo milk).It helps reducing dark circles.
- Women in India have also traditionally used it as a facial moisturizer for dry skin. It is also used on the scalp to fight dry skin and enhance the growth of robust and thick hair.
- It has a property to slow the aging process in a very sure and steady way by balancing the living one.
- It can be used as the bath oil. Take two tablespoons of this and mix with several drops of an essential oil of your choice.
- This can also be used as an exquisite facial moisturizer.
Kitchen Tips for Ghee:
- Always consider clarified butter oil before making any recipe and how it can enhance its taste.
- Always use a clean spoon whenever you take this out from the jar to ensure that it stays good for a long time.
- Store your ghee in a tightly closed container and a dark place.
- Melt it first and then adds spices and other ingredients. It will enhance the aroma and taste of the spices.
- It is always healthier to saute your spices, first seeds and then your ground spices. Aromatic and robust properties of the seeds and spices are released at this point
If you are overweight or have some health issues it is always better to consult your doctor before consuming ghee.
Dozens of Mouth-Watering Uses for Ghee
- Simply mix it with fresh lemon zest, minced garlic and dill, followed by baking or broiling will add to the taste of your dish.
- Your vegetables can be tossed with ghee with a small amount of lemon zest to enhance its flavor. If you are adding any spice or herb to your recipe, just remember to sauté your seed spices first to release the aroma, and then add ground spices, onions, garlic, etc. Sauté your veggies in a Tsp (per person) of it till they are softened. Then add a very small amount along with unrefined salt and freshly ground pepper right before serving.
- Roast veggies tossed in it along with herbs and garlic at 425 – 450 F. It has a high smoking point and will not burn. To evenly roast veggies toss them frequently.
- Tossing hot drained pasta with a Tsp of clarified butter instead of olive oil will do wonders. Add unrefined salt, freshly ground pepper with your choice of favorite fresh herbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- It is a perfect companion for baked potatoes. Adding cinnamon and nutmeg to sweet potato or yam to make it delicious and healthy.
- Simply stir ghee into a bowl of soup or hot cereal before serving.
- Ghee combined with grilled cheese is the best combination.
- Before building your soup sauté onions, celery, carrot, peppers in ghee for the soup base.
- Add 1 Tsp of ghee along with your milk, add cayenne, cinnamon, and cardamom to taste – it will give you superb hot chocolate.
- For an awesome popcorn – pop your corn in 2 Tbs of melted ghee and also add ghee and salt to the finished popcorn.
- Similarly tossing raw nuts with ghee, salt, cayenne powder, cumin and turmeric and then roasting in a 250F oven till golden in color, will add to taste. (Soaked overnight& drained well)
- We all love pancakes, waffles, French toast. It is a perfect companion with them, plus adding honey will turn them into a blessing.
- Before serving rice, add a tsp of ghee per person to it before serving.
- It is perfect for crackers or toast.
- Warm milk with a tsp of ghee before bed is good for health. You can make it tasty as well by add cinnamon or cardamom.
- Finely chopped apples or pears in Ghee with a little vanilla and cinnamon are a delicious combination. You can also drizzle maple syrup or raw honey on it before serving alone or with ice cream/yogurt.
- Saut fresh asparagus spears in ghee with unrefined salt, lemon juice, and sesame seeds.
In this modernized world where everyone is health conscious, and there are lots of products available on the market, it is often confused to be an unhealthy product.
This article is intended to remove those misconceptions and create awareness about an age old product and its benefits.
Then what are you waiting for, get started with your first recipe using ghee and introduce yourself to a healthy you?
The medicinal properties and effect of ghee keeps increasing when ghee is kept for long time. Means older the ghee better is the effect
1. Acharya KT. Ghee, Vanaspati, and special fats in India. In: Gunstone FD, Padley FB, editors. Lipid Technologies and Applications. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc; 1997. pp. 369–90.
2. Tirtha SS. Bayville, NY: Ayurveda Holistic Center Press; 1998. The Ayurveda Encyclopedia.
3. Lad V. New York: Harmony Books; 1998. The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies.
4. Sharma HM. Butter oil (ghee) – Myths and facts. Indian J Clin Pract. 1990;1:31–2.
5. Illingworth D, Patil GR, Tamime AY. Anhydrous milk fat manufacture and fractionation. In: Tamime AY, editor. Dairy Fats and Related Products. Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell; 2009.