You’d be surprised to know that Lemons and lemon oil have been in use for a wide spectrum of health conditions for at least a thousand years now.
Their anti-infection, detoxifying, antiseptic, disinfectant and antifungal properties have been scientifically established.
Use of essential oils and their growing popularity is not unknown to us. Technically speaking, Essential oils are concentrated hydrophobic liquids containing volatile aroma compounds from plants.
Table of Contents
Properties Of Lemon Oil
- Antifungal properties
- Anti-microbial agent
- Thirst quencher
- Cleansing & Purifying
Health Benefits Of Lemon Oil
1. Want To Get Rid Of Dull Skin?
Lemon oils inherently possess astringent and detoxifying properties which can help you to rejuvenate the luster of dull skin, to sag or tired-looking skin. If you have oily skin or a pimple prone skin, lemon oil can work wonders for you as it is antiseptic.
You can add lemon oil to your facial cleanser as it will brighten your skin. It helps by removing the dead skin cells leading to a fresh and clear complexion.
2. Stress Buster
Busy lives often can get the best of you. Stress levels are high. Lemon oil’s calming nature can thus, come in handy for you. It tones down your mental fatigue, nervous tension, anxiety, exhaustion, dizziness, and nervousness.
It has the unique effect of creating a healthy mindset and elimination of negative emotions. It’ll always leave you in a fresh mood. It does it by improving blood circulation throughout your body, leaving every cell properly oxygenated.
3. Boosts Your Immune System
Due to its high vitamin content, it’s incredibly beneficial for your immune system. It imparts your white blood cells the extra capacity to fight off infectious diseases like fever, malaria, typhoid, etc.
You can add one drop of lemon and peppermint oil to the flat bottom of your feet. It’ll reduce the fever and would provide some relief. For additional support, you can choose to use it in combination with Thieves essential oil.
Almond Oil is also wonderful in boosting the immune system. It also has different health benefits.
4. Asthma And Allergy Relief
Use of lemon oil has proved advantageous for Asthma patients, throat infections, bronchitis, flu. It clears your nasal passages & sinuses. It ensures steady breathing and proper air flow.
In the case of an allergy, you can follow this great tip. Combine three drops of peppermint, lavender, and lemon essential oils. Apply this combination on the back of your ears, neck, and feet every day. This will keep your allergies at bay.
You can also use other essential oil to treat different types of allergies.
5. Cure For Insomniacs
If you are an insomniac, Lemon oil can help you get some good sleep. It is a great relief product for sleeplessness.
Maracuja oil can also be utilized to get a sound sleep.
6. Cure For An Upset Stomach
Since Carminative is an essential property of lemon oil, it can cure your various stomach ailments like indigestion, cramps, acidity or heartburn. In the case of any such ailment, drink lukewarm water with three drops of lemon oil.
7. Hair And Nail Care
For those who wish to have shiny, dandruff free hair, Lemon oil is one product that should be on your dressing table.
Lemon oil is a very strong oil. It eliminates dandruff and leaves your hair all healthy and shiny. It can be used for attaining natural highlights.
Add some drops of lemon oil to some water. Spray your hair with this mixture, via a spray bottle. There you have it! Natural highlights. Also, before a manicure, rub lemon oil on your nails. This will soften your cuticles and make the process easier.
You can also use cuticle oil for strengthening your nails.
8. Lose Weight?
Adding lemon oil to your food, or drinking it with honey and lukewarm water helps you satisfy your appetite. This reduces your chances of overeating. It’s a great product for reducing weight.
9. Mood Uplifter
There are times when you can be sad, depressed or just dull. If you want to get rid of the feeling, lemon oil is just the right thing for you. It is very calming. It’s bright, funky; the citrusy smell can indeed chase away your blues.
You can add a few drops in your bathwater. You can also combine it with lavender oil. The oil can also diffuse it in your room to uplift your mood.
10. For Cracked Heels
Lemon oil softens the bunions, corns, and calluses. You can apply the oil to your cracked heels. Lemon oil within weeks will soften the area.
11. Role As A Remover
Tired of your kids using crayons on the walls? Or them sticking gum in each other’s hair? Well, fear not. Lemon oil is just the solution for you.
You can let your kids draw and paint their idea anywhere they want because Lemon oil can help you remove the marks.
They are also useful in removing sticky gums off your carpet, table bottoms and sometimes hair too. You can even remove the labels from the bottle and jars.
Because of its antibacterial and antifungal nature, lemon is the best natural cleaner. You can efficiently use it for the cleansing of the body, metal surfaces, clothes, dishes, toilets, bathrooms, butcher’s knives, etc.
You can make your very own homemade all-purpose lemon oil and vinegar cleaner. Mix few drops of lemon essential oil with your regular vinegar cleaner solution. Your lemon cleanser is ready. It is very effective and leaves a fresh citrusy smell.
13. Enhanced Spiritual Experience
For Spiritual and psychic awareness, for that connection between consciousness and soul, for resolution of the conflict in your thoughts and intellect, diffuse lemon oil in your bath water Or use lemon oil dipped incense sticks. It can work magic for you.
14. Body Cleansing
If you wish to cleanse your liver, kidneys and digestive system in the morning, add 3-4 drops of lemon oil in 2 cups of water to drink. It improves the functions of the digestive system, and it is helpful for constipation, dyspepsia, and cellulite.
Body cleansing helps you to get rid of all the toxins from your body. It’ll instantly help you feel light and will impart a glow to your skin.
Often our surroundings contribute a lot when we need to concentrate on studying, working, or meditation. There are certain smells that can help you achieve the optimum concentration level.
Lemon Oil has a citrusy smell which helps you for increasing concentration and alertness. It gives you a clarity of mind and a feeling of good energy surrounding you.
You can diffuse it in the office or while your children do their homework. This is good for focussing on a task. You can also rub the lemon oil on your palms for instant fragrance.
16. Insect Repellent
You can keep your home free from bugs, mosquitoes, ants, etc. All you have to do is mix lemon oil with Eucalyptus and Peppermint.
The smell will drive away the unwanted insects and leave the room/house with a refreshing, lingering smell. It is also useful for insect bites.
Cinnamon Essential oil is also a wonderful insect repellent and can be used effectively.
17. Dealing With A Cough
Often in winters, we end up with a cough and sore throats. The throat feels scratchy, and it is very irritating. To deal with it, you should use lemon essential oil. Add a few drops of oil to hot water with honey. It’ll provide you relief within minutes.
18. Keep Fruits Fresh
Often when we cut apples or avocado and leave them for a while, they turn brown. They turn brown because of oxidation of the iron present in it. We all know, they have not turned bad and are still fresh & can be eaten.
19. Taste Enhancer
When we talk about citrus fruits, Lemon is the first among many that come to our mind. Of course, Lemons are the most popular around the globe.
They are widely used for culinary purposes. They can be found in the refrigerators of every other house because of their vitamin content, aroma and citrusy taste. Their flavor and aroma are widely appreciated.
Lemon oil drops are used to soften butter, with fish, steamed veggies, and desserts like lemon meringue, lemon frosting, lemon cakes, lemon squares, lemon cookies and, of course, the very popular, Lemonade!
We all are aware of Aromatherapy. For those who don’t, it is the practice of using natural oils to enhance psychological and physical well-being. Lemon oil alone is very stimulating and is popular in the area.
Also, it blends well with other oils like Lavender oil, rose oil, sandalwood oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, geranium oil. This makes Lemon oil very popular among herbalists and those who practice Aromatherapy.
Lemon oil has a distinct, refreshing and funky aroma which makes it a very suitable ingredient for the manufacturing of perfumes. They are also used in scented candles and potpourris. Potpourris with lemon oil smell like summer in a bowl!
22. Soaps And Cosmetics
Since lemon is good for skin as it reduces acne, gives a fresh look and leaves a pleasant smell, it is used in cosmetics and soaps and face washes. Because of its antiseptic and anti- fungal/anti- bacterial property, it is also used in personal care products and medicines.
23. Emotional Benefits
It is wonderful to know that essential oils and fragrances can affect you on deeper levels. Lemon essential oils promote clarity and focus. It overcomes a confused state of mind, fatigue, overwhelms, lack of enthusiasm.
Moreover, It clears self-doubts, stagnant energy, rigidness in mind, heart, & body. It awakens your senses, clears the distractions from your mind. It is very helpful for bad moods or lethargy. Supports cognitive ability and positive mind.
24. Decreased Nausea During Pregnancy
We understand how pregnancy leads to endless nausea and vomiting. For women, it becomes very frustrating after a certain time.
Pregnant women are recommended to use lemon oil in whichever way they feel comfortable in because studies show their use can decrease nausea and vomiting by a significant percentage.
There are some other essential oils that can be used during pregnancy to deal with common ailments during that phase.
25. Help Reverse Diabetic Neuropathy
Who knew lemons could be so beneficial. But according to researchers from Central Food Technological Research Institute in India, Geraniol, a powerful phytonutrient found in lemon can help reverse diabetic neuropathy.
It was discovered that sciatic nerve damage markedly reduced by lemon oil (geraniol)supplementation.
Interestingly, the cellular function was also restored during the 8-week study, which suggests that regular lemon essential oil usage can help regulate our energy stores and play a role in preventing disease, cardiac dysfunction, and premature aging.
26. Improved Dopamine Levels
Dopamine, also known as the Love hormone, helps you feel good. When you feel happy, it is the dopamine that is released in your body. Consuming Lemon oils helps increase depleted dopamine level. It is especially helpful for people who want to overcome addictions or fight depression.
27. Protects Food
Lemon is already known for its antibacterial property. You can add Lemon oil in food. This protects it from human pathogens like E.coli and Salmonella. This is another reason why lemon oil is an ideal household cleaner.
28. Burners And Vaporizers
In vapor therapy, lemon oil can be used for colds, voice loss, flu, depression, stress, lack of energy and fatigue. It furthermore relieves irritation and also helps improve concentration, lifts the spirits, clears the mind.
Side Effects & Precautions
- Lemon oil is powerfully astringent and antiseptic. Because it can cause skin irritation if used by sensitive individuals in dilutions exceeding 5%, it should not be applied undiluted to skin.
- Also, Lemon oil contains compounds that act as photosensitizing agents, which can increase the skin’s sensitivity to ultraviolet light, causing accelerated burning and skin damage. Don’t use lemon oil on the skin in the presence of sunlight.
- Do not take internally unless working with a qualified and expert practitioner.
- Keep away from children.
- If applying an essential oil to your skin always perform a small patch test to an insensitive part of the body (after you have properly diluted the oil in an appropriate carrier.)
- It must be used with a carrier oil for direct application to the skin. Effective carrier oils include coconut oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil.
- Not all oils are created equal. Because of lack of industry standards and lack of regulations on terms such as natural or pure, much of what you find may lack real quality and even contain contaminants and adulterants. Be careful when you buys essential oils.
What Makes Lemon Oil So Beneficial?
The secret to Lemon oil’s success seems to bed-limonene, a powerful antioxidant. Lemon oil contains up to 70% d-limonene. This is found in the peels of Lemon and not the inside part.
It is because of d-limonene, the lemon oil is anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer properties, and has the wonderful ability to deal with a variety of health issues. Limonene also provides the oil with its distinctive lemony aroma.
The detoxification enzymes in the lemon oil impart the cleansing properties.Also, it contains citric acid, which is a natural preservative.
Other major chemical components are a-pinene, camphene, b-pinene, sabinene, myrcene, a-terpinene, linalool, b-bisabolene, limonene, trans-a-bergamot ENE, nerol, and neral.
How Lemon Oil Is Made?
It’s fascinating to know that around 3000 lemons are needed to extract 1 kilo of lemon oil. Lemon oil is extracted from the fresh fruit peel by cold pressing. It is a mechanical process, which does not use heat.
If heat processing is used, it negatively affects the oil quality and strips it off its nutrients, flavor, and color.C old pressed lemon oil, thus, have higher quality.
Distillation is also used for the production. However, lemon oil obtained through distillation has a comparatively inferior scent.
Ways To Use Lemon Oil
Since there are multiple areas where Lemon oil is beneficial, there are multiple ways in which Lemon oil can be used. Some major ways are listed below just for you:
1) Face wash-Use2-3 drops of lemon oil on the skin with one teaspoon baking soda or with raw honey as a natural homemade face wash cleanser.
2) Disinfectant– Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water to clean and disinfect tables, countertops, and other surfaces.
3) Simple Wood Polish– In large glass spray bottle, mix; 3/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar, 30-40 drops Lemon essential oil.
4) Leather cleanser-Use a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments.
5) For stress-For Feelings of isolation, massage 1 drops over the heart center of several diffuse drops during times of emotional stress.
6) Laundry – In case you leave your laundry sitting in the washer too long, just add a few drop of lemon EO and your clothes won’t get that nasty smell.
7) Teeth Whitener – Mix lemon essential oil, baking soda and coconut oil and rub on your teeth for 2 minutes and then dense as a natural teeth whitener.
8) Clean Hands – Got greasy hands from working on your car or bike and regular soap isn’t doing the trick? No worries, just add a couple of drops of lemon EO with your soap and get your clean hands back!
9) Natural Disinfectant – Want to steer away from alcohol and bleach to disinfect your countertops and clean your moldy shower? Add 40 drops lemon oil and 20 drops tea tree oil to a 16-oz spray bottle fill with pure water (and a little bit of white vinegar) for a traditional cleaning favorite.
10) Goo-Be-Gone – Un-stick the sticky goo your kids leave behind with stickers and gum with lemon oil.
11) Promotes Fat-Loss – Putting two drops of lemon oil in your water 3x daily can support metabolism and weight loss.
12) Cold remedy-Lemon oil can support lymphatic drainage and help you overcome a cold fast, mix it with coconut oil and rub it on your neck.
13) For sores-For extra mouth sores relief – dilute thieves, lavender, and lemon oil with any base oil and apply to the infected area daily.
14) Uplifting Diffuser Blend-2 drops each Wild Orange, Bergamot, and Lemon.
15) Strawberry Lemon Cooler: In a blender, blend 1/2 cup strawberries, 4 cups water, and 2-4 drops Lemon essential oil. Strain into glasses w/ ice.
16) Hand sanitizer– Rubbing lemon oil on your hands can help sanitize them.
17) Sore Throat-Add 2-3 drops of lemon oil to hot tea, or drink it with warm water and honey to help soothe a sore throat.
18) Coughs, Colds & General Congestion– Rub a few drops of lemon oil on your chest and throat when you feel congested. Repeat several times daily. You can also diffuse lemon oil into the air for help with respiratory problems.
19) Stop a Runny Nose– Use a little carrier oil and a drop of lemon oil in the palm of your hand. Get your fingertip wet and wipe each side of your nose. This works!
20) Treat Allergies & Hay Fever– Apply a drop of lemon oil behind the ear or under the nose 2-3 times a day to help fight seasonal allergies. Alternately apply to the bottoms of your feet.
21) Sanitize Your Toothbrush– Put, a drop of lemon oil on your toothbrush, then swish it around in a bit of water to immediately clean and sanitize it.
22) Bad Breath– Place 4 drops of lemon oil in 4 ounces of warm water and gargle to get rid of bad breath.
23) Treat Minor Wounds- Place five drops of lemon essential oil in a bowl of three ounces of water. Wipe the wound with a sterilized cloth or pad that has been dipped into the mixture. Continue this process until the wound appears clean.
24) Treat Acne- Apply three drops of lemon essential oil to a cotton ball and swipe onto the affected area, repeating up to three times a day.
25) Clear Up Nail Fungus- Apply a few drops of lemon oil to the affected nail several times a day. Continue until the nail fungus clears up.
26) Degreaser– Lemon oil will remove grease and grime from your hands, as well as tools, dishes, and household items. It will also remove tree sap and the residue left behind from glues and labels.
27) Improve the Taste of Water– An a drop or two of lemon oil to your glass of water to improve the taste.
28) Prolong Shelf-Life of Fresh Produce-: Fill a bowl with cold water, add 2–3 drops of Lemon oil. Drop cleaned fruit into the water, coating all surfaces. This will extend the shelf life of fresh produce.
Lemon Fresh Deodorant Recipe
You Will Need
- 4 Tbs. Extra virgin coconut oil – softened
- 2 Tbs. Baking soda
- 2 Tbs. GMO-free cornstarch
- 5-10 drops of lemon essential oil
In a small bowl, mix the baking soda and cornstarch. Add the coconut oil and lemon essential oil. Mix well with a spoon. Transfer the mixture into an old deodorant container or jar. Place in the refrigerator to harden for 30 minutes. Use as you would normally use deodorant.
Lemon essential oil blends very well with the following listed essential oils:
- Ylang Ylang
Also, depending on your use, if Lemon essential oil is not available, you can use the following substitutes:
- Frankincense essential oils
- Wild Orange essential oils
- Lime essential oils
- Peppermint essential oils.
It is highly recommended to use a Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oil, such as Young Living Essential Oil.