Redness on the face can make you look sick or funny and can embarrass you in front of your colleagues and friends. Redness on a face and around the nose can be because of a lot of reasons but there are also ways to help get rid of it. No need to panic in such a situation as this article contains all you need to know about the causes and tricks to get rid of it.
- Causes Of Redness Around Nose
- Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Redness Around Nose
- Precautions to avoid redness
- How to get rid of redness on nose by acne and pimple
- How to remove redness around nose caused by spider veins
Causes Of Redness Around Nose
Redness on the face, around the nose, is common and affects 1 out of 20 people (survey shows). This redness can be because of many factors both internal and external factors. The list goes as follows:
Rosacea is inflammation of the skin around nose and cheeks. It also affects ears and neck in some people.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder which causes skin cells to multiply at an abnormal rate and can cause redness on or under the nose.
Sebhoerric dermatitis is a fungal condition that causes itchy and flaky skin and dry red skin around the nose.
- Cigarette smoking
- Eating too much spicy food
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Prolonged exposure to the harsh environment like cold temperatures, sunlight and strong winds.
- Dryness in skin
- Excessive scrubbing or washing the face
- Allergic reaction
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Redness Around Nose
Generally, redness around the nose is not considered a serious health problem that needs medical assistance. However, it can be an indication of an underlying medical problem. Before running to the doctor there are simple steps you can take to get rid of redness on the face, around the nose.
1. Herbal teas
Some herbal teas are anti- redness. And can help to cure redness both if consumed or applied topically. Some of these teas are
All three of the above have polyphenols. These tea have skin cells rejuvenating ingredients, which help these tea to reduce redness. To use these teas as a topical compress, follow the method:
- In boiling water, steep bags of the three teas for 10 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool in the fridge for half hour.
- Take a clean cloth and soak it in this mixture and press it on the face for a minute.
- You can do this twice a day.
Cucumbers are wonderful for the eyes and the face. It has ascorbic acid, which reduces inflammation. Cucumber can help in this case too.
- Cut a cucumber and put a slice on your face.
- Instead of rubbing it, slide the cucumber all over your face.
- Or you can take some fresh cucumber juice and apply it over your face.
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes and then rinse off.
- Finish by applying a moisturiser.
Oatmeal helps to get rid of redness around the nose as it has moisturising properties. It can be used to help fingertips peeling and also help in this case. For this, you have to
- Mix ¼ cup of plain oatmeal with hot water.
- Let it cool down before applying it to your face. Just apply the mixture on your face.
- Do not scrub or rub.
- Rinse after 15-20 minutes with water.
- Finish by applying a good moisturiser.
4. Manuka Honey
As we all know honey is very healthy for the throat, skin and the stomach and is anti-inflammatory and has antioxidants. Manuka honey is effective in treating redness around nose and acne.
Apply manuka honey as a face mask and use it as a daily cleanser.
Aspirin contains salicylic acid which helps to cure inflammation.
- Crush 2 aspirins and add a little bit of water to make a paste.
- Apply this on the affected area and wash off when the paste dries.
- Use it once a day
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera works wonders for the skin because of its moisturising and healing capacity. It is always best to use fresh Aloe Vera. Simply,
- Cut an Aloe Vera leaf open and extract the gel.
- Apply it on your face directly.
- Rinse with water and use this method twice a day.
7. Cold compress
Redness around the nose can sometimes be accompanied by burning sensation or selling. Applying a cold compress can help you get rid of inflammation and burning sensation.
Take a clean towel and dip it in ice cold water. Lightly squeeze it and apply on your face.
You can take some ice cubes and put them in a clean towel or cloth and apply on the affected area for 5 minutes. Never apply ice cubes directly on the face.
8. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is a skin essential as it has the excess of lauric acid which is also antimicrobial. Simply apply coconut oil at night and wash it off the next morning.
9. Castor oil
Castor oil helps by reducing the appearance of scars from rosacea.
Mint is an astringent which helps tighten the skin and pores. Along with this, it reduces inflammation. You can use mint juice or mint paste.
- To a cup of water add 3 mint leaves and bring it to the boil.
- Cool it and apply as a juice on the face.
- Or you can take the leaves and mash them and then apply to your face.
- Rinse off after 5 minutes.
Milk has a soothing effect on the skin. Simply apply chilled milk to the affected area and rinse later.
12. Use concealer
If you want to hide redness around the nose, you can also make use of make-up. Here are concealers available in the market especially for the nose. Using concealers give you an even tone and will provide full coverage for the redness.
The anti-redness diet helps to avoid redness by consuming some specific foods and cutting down on spicy foods, beverages like alcohol or irritants which may trigger inflammation. A list of things you should avoid during this diet:
- Limit your sugar intake
The goal of this anti-redness diet is to prevent body internal heat from becoming the reason behind redness. For this meal eat only fruits or vegetables like celery, apple, cucumber, papaya, spinach and peach.
Precautions to avoid redness
There are a few steps you can take to avoid redness around the nose. Some of them are:
1. Say no to cigarette and alcohol:
Smoke from cigarette does not allow the oxygen from reaching the skin. It steals the skin off the moisture and air it needs to breathe. Alcohol on the other hand too robs the skin of its moisture and makes it look dull and dehydrated. When you drink alcohol capillaries are at a risk of rupturing and the blood coming from them go to the skin surface and can give the nose a reddish appearance.
2. Cut down on spicy food:
If you are fond of spicy food then you can suffer from this problem. In these cases, the spicy food can be the problem that may be causing redness. If spicy food is the reason then avoid it all together.
3. Use a mild face wash:
It would be advised to use a mild soap free face wash. It would be better if you go for the ones made for the sensitive skin type. After a wash, pat the skin dry and remember not to rub.
4. Use a good moisturiser:
Make it a habit, to use a moisturiser after every wash. Gently massage the moisturiser all over your face. For the sensitive area around the nose take some extra time and apply gently.
5. Use sunscreen:
If you are planning to go out in the sun remember to use a good sunscreen or protect your face from the harsh sun rays.
6. Avoid stress:
Stress can also show up on your face in the form of dull looking or reddish face. Avoid stress as it has a way to harm the beautiful skin of yours.
How to get rid of redness on nose by acne and pimple
Acne can ruin your entire day and can cause redness. For redness free face simply follow the steps below:
Use a soap-free face wash. Don’t try to steal your face of its natural oil by using an oil free face wash.
Make use of aspirin. Take a tablet of aspirin and slice it into a half. Now wet it and use a bandage and hold it against a pimple. Aspirin helps as it contains natural salicylic acid which helps in the treatment of swelling and inflammation.
Make use of toothpaste and dab cotton with toothpaste and apply on the affected area.
How to remove redness around nose caused by spider veins
Spider veins are nothing but red veins around the nose. They can appear because of a number of factors like
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Poor diet
- Weak blood vessels
- Poor blood circulation
Remedies to help get rid of redness caused by spider veins
- You can apply apple cider vinegar on the affected area two times a day.
- Take cayenne pepper supplements.
- Exercise to improve blood circulation.
Redness around the nose is not something to worry about and it can disappear on its own. But, if it exists even after long period of time and none of the remedies could help, it would be wise to go to a doctor. In such cases, a reddened nose can be an indication of a more serious problem.