Lip twitching is a common yet very disturbing symptom. In most cases, the cause behind this condition is not serious.
Mostly it happens due to stress, fatigue, emotions, excessive caffeine intake or some deficiency in your body, such as potassium.
In most cases, lip twitching is self-limiting and disappears in minutes or may be few days. It goes away without causing any residual problem in your body.
However, if it is persistent with other signs and symptoms, then it should be investigated for other underlying disorders and causes.
What Is Lip Twitching?
A sudden involuntary contraction of your lip muscles is called twitching of lip. It is usually caused due to contraction of the muscle fibers.
It is a result of direct stimulation, irritation or injury of the nerve supplying these muscles and can also be caused due to tics, spasms, tremors and fasciculation ( general muscle twitching).
Lip twitching or lip fasciculation is an abnormal irregular contraction of the muscle fibers of your lips. Such twitches may occur even when your lips are at rest. It may also happen after a direct simulation of your lips like electrical or chemical pressures or direct contact with heat.
Lip twitching action is usually rapid and imperceptible in the movement of lips. It can occur during a purposeful action of your lip, which might indicate muscle fatigue.
What Are Symptoms Of Lip Twitching?
Bottom lip twitching may be seen as a minor tremor of your lip. However, it may also spread to other areas of your face. Some of the common signs and symptoms of this condition are mentioned below:
- Spontaneous or unexpected contraction of your lower lip muscle.
- Spasms which may occur repeatedly after a gap of some minutes.
- The sensation of frozen lip or numbness of your bottom lip.
- Minor population like the motion of your lower lip.
- Curling sensations of the edges of your lip.
What Are The Superstitions Related To Lip Twitching?
The most ironic fact is that there are many superstitions related to both the bottom and upper lip twitching. There is no such guarantee that these superstitions are actually real. However, you might want to know about these too. These facts are listed as follows:
- If your upper lip is twitching, then you are likely to get kissed soon or you will kiss someone very soon.
- If the left side lip is twitching, then something negative is likely to happen in your life.
- right lip twitching means that If the right side of your lip is twitching, then something good is likely to happen in your life.
What Are The Causes Of Lip Twitching?
The most common causes of lip twitching are as follows:
- Emotions such as anger, amusement or fear
- Severe anxiety
- Potassium deficiency
- Excessive intake of a stimulant like coffee, a variety of soft drinks, tea, chocolate and over the counter stimulants.
- Withdrawal of alcohol or abuse.
- Withdrawal of nicotine or cigarette
- Lack of electrolytes
Other causes of lip twitching may include the following:
- Irritation or damage to your facial nerves due to a trauma or injury.
- Occasional twitching of your lips due to bell’s palsy or facial droop.
What Are The Causes Of Persistent Lip Twitching?
If, in any case, you have a persistent lip twitching, then following might be the causes behind it :
i) Hemifacial Spasm:
When there is an aggravated or initiated fatigue or anxiety, then involuntary facial movements might occur. This mainly includes lip twitching. The cause behind this can also be compression of a facial nerve. Although, it is usually idiopathic, meaning, it does not any cause that can be identified.
A facial tic is a condition which involves the eyes or the muscles of the face and lips. In this condition, there is a repeated spasm of the involved facial muscles. Tics occur frequently in childhood and often gets resolved on their own. However, sometimes they continue throughout the life. Stress is the known cause behind this condition.
iii) Tourette’s Syndrome:
Tourette’s syndrome is a little different from short lived childhood tics. Its symptoms are caused by repeated involuntary muscle spasm. It can further result in the following symptoms :
- Mouth twitching
- Grimacing of the mouth
- Nose wrinkling
- Tongue movement
- Throat clearing
This condition can also include behavioral problems.
iv) Parkinsons Disease:
When the twitching of lips occurs as rhythmical involuntary action, affecting one or both lip, then it comes under the category of Parkinson’s disease. It also has other signs and symptoms of itself.
This tremor of lips starts when you are at rest. It may stop while performing activities such as eating or speaking, which is typically the case in Parkinson’s disease.
However, this twitching of the lip is not observed when you sleep. However, in the later stage of this disease, lip twitching may continue even when the patient is talking or eating.
Other signs and symptoms of this disease may include the following:
- Tremor, starting in the hands
- Slowness of movement
- Muscle stiffness
- Problems with balance and coordination.
- Slow monotonous speech
- Walking with short shuffling steps
- Fixed facial expressions with a staring gaze or little/no blinking
When there is a low level of calcium and elevated level of phosphorus in your body, it results in low production of parathyroid hormone in your body. This condition is called Hypoparathyroidism. This gives rise to a number of other symptoms like :
- Muscle cramps in the legs, feet, abdomen or face
- Tingling, numbness and burning sensation in the fingertips, toes, and lips.
- Muscle weakness
- Dysmenorrhea ( painful menstruation )
- Rough and dry skin
- Patchy hair loss
- Brittle nails
- Twitching of hands and feet
vi) DiGeorge Syndrome:
Sometimes, there is a poor development of several body systems. This is due to a defect in chromosome 22 which results in a syndrome called DiGeorge syndrome.
It is associated with defects in the heart, cleft palate, behavioral problems and poor functioning of parathyroid glands.
These signs and symptoms may be present at the time of birth or may develop later. It will completely depend on the affected body system of an individual.
These symptoms may include:
- Bluish skin
- Shortness of breath
- Failure to gain weight
- Twitching of lips and muscles around the mouth
- Easy fatigue
- Spasm of the hands or the legs
- Frequent infections
vii) Essential Tremor:
The tremor that involves arms, hands, and head, it is called essential tremor. It is one of the most common types of tremor and occurs mostly due to stretching of arms or some neurological disorder and can be either due to a family history of essential tremor or else no cause can be identified. It is minimum when you are at the action and disappears when you go to sleep.
There may be phases of uncontrollable tremors and even shaking of the whole body. However, it will exist for only a short period of time.
viii) Drug Induced Tremor:
When you are on a long-term alcohol abuse or narcotic use, including crystal meth addiction, it causes a drug-induced tremor in your body. These may also be present as a result of opiate withdrawal.
It can be severe during detoxification phase. It may even persist after rehabilitation which is often seen in recovering addicts. Also, it comes along with other symptoms like head tremor, voice, tongue and lip tremor, causing severe difficulty in speech.
ix) Hysterical Tremor:
Hysterical tremor occurs only when you are in a heightened emotional state. This type of tremor usually disappears or reduces when the patient is distracted.
What Is The Treatment For Lip Twitching?
When you have lip twitching, it is often ignored or overlooked. However, it is essential to find out what is causing it.
Otherwise, it may spread to other parts of your face and body. Hence, here are some preventive measures and treatments that can help you to reduce or stop the jerky movement of the lip(s).
Taking proper care of your physical as well as mental health.
- Avoid or reduce intake of caffeinated and alcoholic beverages.
- Apply a warm cloth to the surface of your lip whenever the twitching starts. You can even apply pressure to your lip with your finger to stop the twitching immediately
- Reduce your stress and fatigue by practicing stress managing techniques like exercise and yoga.
- Eat a well-balanced diet which includes watermelon and bananas. They are rich in potassium and will help you recover your potassium deficiency. You can also eat other fruits and vegetables.
It is very important to find the cause behind lip twitching before treating it. Hence, once the cause is identified, it can be treated so that it fades away gradually.
However, sometimes the lip twitching may occur without any residual problem. Then, it might come under the category of persistent lip twitching and might not be treatable.
Just keep in mind, if the condition does not improve by self-care treatments, then it is advised to consult the medical specialist for proper advice.