Ear infection as the name explaining itself, it is a type of the infection in the ear. Sometimes you must have felt that water is flowing out of your ear unusually. You start feeling pain in your ear.
You are not able to sleep properly. If you are facing these types of problems, then you are facing the infection in the ear.
Most of the people are unaware of the symptoms, causes, and remedies for the ear infection and that’s why whenever you face problems like this you visit a doctor.
But, there are a lot of effective home remedies for ear infection that are much harmless than the medicines.
The upcoming article will be covering the various home remedies for the ear infection and also the preventive measures which if taken then they decrease the chances of ear infection.
The ear is a very delicate part of your body. The ear contains three parts:
- Middle ear
- Inner ear
- Outer ear
Each of these parts has their specific functions. And each of the parts can be infected.
What Is Ear Infection?
Ear infection is the infection in any of the inner, middle or outer parts of the ear. Ear being the delicate part if not cared properly then it easily gets infected.
The infections in the ear are caused by bacteria and viruses and most of the times; middle ear gets infected. But any of the three parts can be infected.
Inner infection is the most dangerous one. Ear infection is needed to be treated as early as possible. It can take severe form very early as rupturing of the eardrum. Let us first discuss the causes and the symptoms
But, any of the three parts can be infected. Inner infection is the most dangerous one. Ear infection is needed to be treated as early as possible.
It can take severe form very early as rupturing of the eardrum.
Let us first discuss the causes and the symptoms of the ear infection.
Home Remedies For Ear Infection
There are a lot of medical treatments available to treat the ear infection, but medical treatments always have some side effects as well. Most of the times you prefer to take home remedy if a home remedy can treat you properly.
The home remedies for the treatment of the ear infection are the following:
1. Warm Water Bottle Or Heating Pad
Forgetting a quick relief, you should use the warm water bottle or heating pad.
- Place warm water bottle on the ear. In place of water bottle or pad, you can also use cloth. Dip the cloth in the warm water and keep the dipped cloth on the ear.
- But, you must keep in mind one thing that you must not do this for the longer period. It should be done for 5 minutes at most.
- It can be repeated after some time. But at the single time, the time should not exceed 5 minutes.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree oil is known for its healing and antibacterial properties. So, it does in the case of ear infection. For this, you need to prepare the following mixture.
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 tsp.
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp.
- Tea tree oil – 3 drops
- Colloidal silver – 1 tsp.
- Mix the given ingredients that are apple cider vinegar, olive oil, tea tree oil, colloidal silver in the given amount.
- Warm the mixture slightly.
- Take a towel.Put your head on the towel in the upright position.
- Put 3 to 4 drops of the mixture in the infected ear.
- Keep your head in the same position for about 5 minutes.
- Now turn your head and let the mixture flow out of your ear.
- Repeat this three times a day and see the incredible results.
Garlic is known for its pain relieving and antimicrobial properties. You can use garlic in various ways for getting instant relief.
a. Garlic Oil Or Juice
Take fresh garlic oil or few drops of garlic juice. Put 3 to 4 drops of any of the garlic oil or juice in the ear. This will provide the immediate relief, and this should be repeated 3 to 4 times a day for getting better results.
b. Garlic Mixture
Take 2-3 cloves of garlic and boil them in water for about 5 minutes. Crush the cloves and add some salt to it. Wrap the prepared mixture in a cloth and place the cloth on the ear for getting relief from infected ear.
c. Garlic Cloves
You can simply eat garlic cloves as well. Eating of garlic cloves will also provide instant relief.
4. Mango Leaf Juice
Mango leaf also provides instant relief from an earache.
For instant relief, you should prepare the following mixture.
- Mango leaves – 2 to 3
Procedure To Be Followed
- Take 2 to 3 mango leaves.
- Extract juice from them by grinding or crushing them.
- Put 2 to 3 drops of the prepared mixture in the ear and remain in the same position for about 5 minutes.
- Repeat the procedure three times a day for instant healing.
Salt is the easiest and very effective way to heal the infected ear.
- Take a bowl full of salt.
- Keep this in the microwave oven for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Put this heated salt in the socks.
- Tie the open end of the socks with some thread or the rubber band.
- Lie down and keep this warm sock in your ear.
- This will help in getting the pus out of your ear.
- You can repeat this multiple times a day for fast relief.
6. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are also very effective for the treatment of the ear infection. There are two ways in which you can use basil leaves for the treatment of ear infection.
a. Basil Leaves Juice
Basil leaves – 4 to 5
- Take 4 to 5 basil leaves.
- Extract juice from these leaves by crushing or grinding the leaves.
- Apply the prepared juice around the ear.
- You must put the mixture in the ear canal.
7. Coconut Oil With Basil Leaves
- Basil leaves
- Coconut oil
- Cotton balls
- Take 4 to 5 leaves of basil.
- Extract juice from the basil leaves by crushing or grinding.
- Mix coconut oil in the basil leaves juice.
- Apply the mixture to the infected area and see the results.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very effective in removing fungus from the infected area.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Water or alcohol
- Cotton balls
- Take apple cider vinegar and water or alcohol in equal amounts.
- Take a cotton ball and let the cotton ball soak the mixture.
- Put the cotton ball in the infected ear.
- Keep it in the ear for about 5 minutes.
- Now remove the cotton ball from the ear.
- Lie down in the opposite direction to remove the mixture from the ear.
- White vinegar can also be used in the place of apple cider vinegar.
9. Breast Milk
Breast milk is found to be very useful for the ear infections. Those you have taken breast milk for about one year, then those have less chance of getting the infected ear. Put 2 to 3 drops in the ear every two hours.
The infection will be healed in some time if repeated again and again.
10. Olive Oil
Ear infection is usually caused by the deposits of wax in the ear. This deposit of wax results in the germination of bacteria and fungi.
For removing this fungus, olive oil is the best solution. Warm some olive oil. Put this warm oil in the infected ear. The wax can be removed with the help of this warm olive oil.
Onion also has a lot of medicinal properties. So, onion is also used in curing the infection of the ear. There are two ways in which onion can be used for the treatment of the ear infection.
a. Onion Juice
Take a piece of onion. Chop the onion and keep in the microwave for about 2 to 3 minutes. Cool it for some time and extract the juice out of it. Put these drops in the ear of the infected area and leave it for 2 to 3 minutes.
After some time, turn the head to let the juice out of the ear.
b. Baked Onion
Take an onion and bake it in the microwave oven for about 30 minutes. Cut the onion into two pieces and tie one piece of onion in the cotton cloth.
Place it in the infected area for about 10 minutes. This will heal the infected ear.
12. Mullein Drops
- Mullein flowers – 1 tsp.
- Boiling water – ½ cup
- Mullein tea – 1 tbsp.
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp.
- Take mullein flowers and put these flowers in boiling water.
- Let it cool.
- Mix mullein tea and olive oil.
- Leave the mixture for one night.
- Put a drop of this mixture regularly.
13. Garlic And Mullein Oil
Garlic and Mullein oil is easily available near your medical stores. It is very easy to use this. You just need to pour 3 to 4 drops of this oil in your ear. Stay still for 5 minutes.
Repeat this at least four times a day, and you should preferably use six times a day. Use this oil till you recover from your ear infection.
14. Essential Oils
Essential oils are also very useful for the treatment of the ear infection. You need to massage the outside of your ear and face with the essential oil.
But, remember essential oils are concentrated, and you need to use them in the diluted form by adding some carrier oil like coconut oil or almond oil in it.
You need to follow the following procedure for massage:
- Massage on the neck behind the ear in the downward direction.
- Massage inwardly in front of the ear on the face.
The oils that are recommended for the massage are:
- Rosemary essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Chamomile essential oil
- Oregano essential oil
- Thyme essential oil
15. Cod Liver Oil
Cod liver oil is very beneficial for the treatment of the ear infection. You need to pour some drops of this oil in your ear. Use it two times a day.
16. Elderberry Syrup
Elderberry syrup is also found to be very beneficial for the treatment of the ear infection. It has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that help to cure the ear infection.
The syrup is readily available in the market, and you can also make it at home.
How To Prepare Elderly Soup?
- Fresh or dried elderberries – ½ cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Honey – 1 cup
- Freshly grated ginger – 1 to 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Cinnamon stick – 1 (optional)
- Take elderberries, ginger, and cinnamon to the pot.
- Add water to the pot.
- Boil it for about 45 minutes.
- Strain the mixture.
- Cool the liquid.
- Stir the liquid in honey.
- Put it in a glass jar and keep in a refrigerator.
Take ½ or 1 cup if you are a child and 1 or 1 and ½ cup if you are adults daily till you recover.
Ear infection hurts a lot, and no one of you would like to have an infection like this. So, you should take these preventive measures:
a. You should keep on washing your hands frequently to stop the spreading of infection.
b. Do not smoke.
c. Try to breastfeed your baby and if you are feeding your child with the bottle then hold your child upright.
d. Try to prevent the common cold.
Causes Of Ear Infection
There are various causes and contributing factors that lead to an ear infection which are the following:
- Blocking of an ear by the fluid or the mucus behind the ear.
- Various food allergies also lead to ear infection.
- Upper respiratory problems can also cause the ear infection.
- Environmental allergies.
- Internal allergies.
- Nutritional deficiencies.
Symptoms For Ear Infection
Ear infections are not visible, and that’s why it is very difficult to recognize the ear infection. These are the symptoms that are observed during the time of ear infection.
- Hearing problems
- Tugging at ears
- Fluid drainage from ears
- Trouble with sleeping
- Terrible pain in the ear
- Swelling of middle ear
Possible Complications In-Ear Infection
Ear infection if not properly treated then leads to the various permanent changes in the ear. The various complications that can happen due to ear infection are:
a. Hardening of the tissue of the middle ear
b. Inflammation around or in the brain
c. A Mastoid bone infection
d. Cyst in the middle ear
e. Damage in the portion of the ear that helps in maintaining the balance
f. Face paralysis
g. Drainage of water from the hole in the eardrum
When To See Doctor
If the home remedies do not work then visit your doctor as early as possible and if your child is below the age of six months then do not apply any of the described remedies on him. Take him or her to the doctor as early as possible.
Any type of infection is very irritating and painful, and so is the case with the ear infection.
So, try to take all the preventive measures to protect yourself from the infection-causing bacteria. And if you get any then try to take home remedies as home remedies are the best for treating any disease.
Any of the above-described remedies can be used. Have a healthy and safe life!
You May Also Like Reading: